RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[23] Ince adds insult to injury
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by redend:

After the revelation (item [6] Ince - Scouse Lover) that Ince wanted Liverpool to win
title. Has he never heard the phrase "When you're in a hole - stop digging". And
bizarrely he [claims he] can't understand why United fans give him stick!

Ince says (from TEAMtalk):
"I didn't leave Liverpool in the best of circumstances but their fans never give me
stick and that's why I'd like them to win the title."

"I still live in Liverpool [aha - don't want your house torched then] and Jamie
Redknapp [does he still play for Liverpool!] is my best mate and I'd like them to do
it."

"I get a lot of grief from Manchester United fans and I can't understand it. They
should remember I was part of the team which took the title back to Old Trafford for
the first time in 26 years." [It seems its you who forgot that Paul. Especially when
you went to Liverpool.]

"I sweated blood and shed tears in my six years at United and I think I should be
respected for that [you were - its what you've done since that has smeared your
reputation], but all I get is stick when I go there because Ferguson once called me a
"big-time Charlie" in some television programme." [That is not the REASON - although
we now realise, as always, Fergie was right.]

---------------------------------
[22] Boro take Stretford End ..
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by redend:

.. in their dreams.

Boro have been allocated the Stretford End for the FA Cup semi final.

The Boro boys are getting excited (or should that be exited - from the FA Cup) because
it means they will have plenty of space to parade and drape banners. I trust Charlie &
the VFC lads are storing away ours so the Smoggies don't get their mutant paws on them.

---------------------------------
[21] Saints go marching in
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by redend:
This story was doing the rounds last week but thanks to Paul W for sending the
Guardian article in to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

A University of York "boffin" has been doing research into football crowd singing and
rates United 2nd behind Southampton. Mind you it should be noted that this isn't based
on volume but rather on the pitch of the notes - i.e. is it in tune?

The Stretford End might not rival Concorde taking off nowadays but at least it can
occasionally do a good impression of the engines warming up on the runway. And we know
United are the unofficial champions away from home - a fact reluctantly acknowledged
by many hardcore fans of rivals - although not the average 606 caller who wets
themselves over the greatest (and most loyal!!) fans in football - the Toon Army [stop
sniggering at the back].

Anyway here's a league table - it means nothing - but then does anything mean
anything? What is love? Why are we here? Can I go now? (avec me coat).

Interestingly journo's still can't resist using the word "terrace" whenever its
something about atmosphere - and yet many of the same would oppose
http://www.safestanding.com safe standing and try to dispute the link between standing
and atmosphere.

The Guardian:
"Terrace" singers

Top of the league...

1 Southampton

2 Manchester United

3 Derby County

4 Newcastle

5 Liverpool

And in the relegation zone

16 Leeds United

17 Fulham

18 Aston Villa

19 Tottenham Hotspur

20 Bolton Wanderers

---------------------------------
[20] Ole gets shirty with Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by redend:
TEAMtalk also report that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer paid over £5.5K for Ruud's signed
United shirt in an auction in aid of UNICEF at the end of February.

Ole acts as an ambassador for UNICEF.

Keano also picked up a shirt signed by Ronaldo while Giggsy bagged a pair of Schmike's
gloves.

The auction raised over 100 Grand.

---------------------------------
[19] I snubbed Utd, Di Canio
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by redend:
He told TEAMtalk:

"I know people wrote that unfortunately I didn't move because of Yorke. This is
rubbish because, if I wanted to sign for Manchester United, I would have signed on
December 24".

"This is the truth. I didn't push it to go because, when there is a club that wants to
sell you and a club that wants to buy you, if I wanted I would have moved in a flash.
So I didn't ask to move - it didn't happen even if a lot of the media wrote that di
Canio was disappointed because he didn't move to Manchester United, because Yorke
refused to move.

"This is rubbish, because the first contact was on December 23. If West Ham agree in a
moment, then Manchester United say, 'No, sorry, we have to sell Yorke', this is stupid
- it is not true".

"West Ham wanted to sell me, Manchester United wanted to buy me. If I wanted to go, I
would say I am happy with the money, so I would sign in a minute. But I didn't ask for
anything, I didn't want to move, I didn't move. This is the truth."

[Well certainly can agree with the last statement "I didn't move. This is the truth"
but that looks to be about the only bit in it. Distinct farmyard odour.]

---------------------------------
[18] Butt, Scholes and Forlan to start?
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by redend:
With injuries to Ruud, Keano and Veron ruling them out of the Boavista match it looks
likely that Nicky Butt, Scholesy and Diego will get a place in the starting line up.

Nicky is in Red Hot form - OK well he scored on Saturday - with an overhead kick -
which, according to most of the press, he must have kicked onto his own head before it
went in. Now that's what I call technique.

A good time for Diego to score his first goal then, went very close on Saturday again
with a great curling shot from the edge of the box.

---------------------------------
[18]Becks on team spirit
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by redend:
"The manager was saying he nearly had a heart attack when we went behind twice. [He
did look a bit peaky after being drenched]. But we are always the same - we always
seem to make it hard for ourselves."

"He has gone on a lot about the character in his team and that showed through - every
one of our players has great character. The manager is always on to us about getting
off to a good start and I think it annoys him when we don't."

"Thinking back to every time we have played at West Ham, it has always been in the
last five or 10 minutes that we have lost the games. But we carried on and composed
ourselves and when we played the ball around the way we did it was hard to stop us."

---------------------------------
[17] Transfer bollox? Andrade
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by redend:
The Sunday M**ror claims that 23 year old Portuguese defender Jorge Andrade is being
closely monitored by Fergie's scouts.

---------------------------------
[16] Transfer bollox? Nesta
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by redend:
The News of the Screws also tells us that Allessandro Nesta has refused a move to
United,

Apparently he prefers the charms of Milano - the Inter variety.

---------------------------------
[15] Transfer bollox? Reiziger
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by redend:
The News of the World reckons Fergie could try to stiffen it up at the back (leave it)
by bringing in "Dutch stopper" Michael Reiziger.

The NOTW claims that Barcelona have knocked back a loan deal for the 28-year-old, but
will let him go to OT in the summer for around £6.5m.

---------------------------------
[14] Early team news:Trio out for Boa
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by redend:
To add to the injury to Veron (item [13]) both Keano and Ruud will miss the Boavista
match - which we need to win if we want to top the group. And Ronny is a slight doubt
too but at least he was on the plane unlike the dynamic trio that have been left
behind.

Keano has a hip injury, while van Nistelrooy has a groin problem. Keane has stayed in
Manchester for treatment, but Ruud's injury is not too bad so Fergie has said he can
have a few days off to go home to Holland.

Fergie said:: 'Roy Keane has got a hip injury, which has been bothering him for a few
days.

'He got through the two matches against Boavista and West Ham, but we've decided to
leave him behind. Ruud van Nistelrooy has got a groin injury and Ronny Johnsen may be
doubtful, but he's travelled.'

Incidentally, we only put the "Early team news" tag in the news item subject because
our esteemed (steamed by now) editor, who is on business in Porto, has some
superstition about this and reckons it influences the result. Sad really.

---------------------------------
[13]Veron injury
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by redend:
There are fears that Juan Sebastian Veron may have a broken bone in his foot -
although this is probably press speculation based on the fact that he's been sent for
a scan after injuring it against Bayern Munich on Wednesday.

Obviously he is definitely out of the Boavista match.

Fergie said: 'Seba got a knock on the heel in the game against Bayern last week. It's
pretty delicate so we are sending him for a scan and hopefully there is nothing
broken.'

Presumably this will put the dampners on rumours we've been hearing that Veron was
being offered back to Lazio in a swap deal for Crespo? Or .....

---------------------------------
[12] Roeder is badly hurt
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by tb:
'Apart from the ability to finish in the way they do, it is the service the finisher
receives. If you were to look at a video of David Beckham's passes and crosses today
you would find every one was a winner that could hurt you badly.'

---------------------------------
[11] More Roeder praise for us
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by tb:
'With England I got to know them as people as well as players. The reason they have
carried on improving in the manner they have is because they are excellent as people
in their own right.

'Whenever England were together as a squad, you always knew which were the Manchester
United players. They were the ones who worked the hardest, wanted to do extra
training, who had to be dragged off the training ground.

'They have got better since those days and they will carry on improving because they
have genuine desire. Generally speaking, you are born with that and if you are not
then it rubs off on you being surrounded by them.'

---------------------------------
[10] Ruud favourite for 2000 Guineas?
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by tb:
As John Magnier (he of Coolmore Mafia fame)names a nag after Ruud

"I was very honoured," said Van Nistelrooy. "I didn’t know much about racing before I
came to England, but the players often have team days at the races and I am getting
more into it now, and I will definitely be backing Van Nistelrooy when he runs."

Ladbrokes lacky Mike Dillon says: "John loves van Nistelrooy as a player, he’s really
taken with him. That is why out of all the stars in the side, his is the name he would
want for one of his horses. Perhaps I should make it favourite for next year’s 2,000
Guineas now."

---------------------------------
[9] Roeder rests case for the defence
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by tb:
"I've looked at replays of the goals several times and it confirmed my initial
reaction that we defended poorly and contributed to our own downfall," he said.

"It must have been enjoyable for the neutral but it was painful for me that every time
we gave United an opportunity, they took it."

"While United will believe they scored some good goals, I believe they were all
preventable."

---------------------------------
[8] Roeder upsets the pond life
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by tb:
"There's nothing wrong with a bit of booing but in my experience severe abuse is
invariably counterproductive, for a player of David Beckham's quality, it will only
spur him on to greater things.

"Nobby Stiles always used to say that he knew he was really playing well when the
opposition fans booed him. It always made him play even better.

"I've worked with David and other Manchester United players when I was involved with
England and they are all special players - and special people."

---------------------------------
[7] Becks on those cuddly eastenders
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by tb:
"The West Ham fans have given me some stick over the years and it was nice to give a
bit back."

---------------------------------
[6] Ince - Scouse Lover
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by redend:
Ince could have remained a hero in the eyes of many United fans long after he left but
one thing after another destroys the memory of the player he was for us - actually
pretty good.

In his latest effort to further smear his legacy he comes out with this quote:

"It would be nice if Liverpool win it [you think that's bad - but he goes on to add a
bit of literal ABUism] even if just to make a change from Man Utd winning it all the
time."

---------------------------------
[5] Ole one short
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by redend:
Ole now has 18 goals this season.

Only one short of his best ever for United - apparently.

---------------------------------
[4] 100 goals notched
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by redend:
Scholesy's goal vs the 'ammers was our 100th this season.

Which is nice.

---------------------------------
[3] West Ham stats
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by redend:
West Ham    3 (2) - 5 (2)  Man Utd

West Ham Goals:Lomas 8, Kanoute 20, Defoe 78

United Goals : Beckham 17, Butt 22, Scholes 55, Solskjaer 64, Beckham 89 (pen)

West Ham: James ,Schemmel ,Repka ,Dailly, Winterburn Defoe ,74 ) ,Labant ,Lomas
,Carrick ,Cole ,Di Canio ,Kanoute
Subs not used: Hislop, Moncur, Pearce, Garcia,

Man Utd: Barthez ,Gary Neville, Blanc, Johnsen, Silvestre, Beckham, Scholes, Keane
,Butt ,van Nistelrooy ( Fortune ,87 ) ,Solskjaer ( Forlan ,84 )
Subs not used Carroll, Irwin, Phil Neville,

Bookings: Repka , Schemmel (West Ham) Gary Neville , Solskjaer (Man Utd)

Attendance: 35281

Referee: M R Halsey (Welwyn Garden City)

[1] Unlike Dwight ...
Posted Monday, March 18, 2002 by redend:
 ... we find ourselves short staffed.

With half the RED NEWS team on the lash in Porto in preparation for the Boavista match
we once again find ourselves undermanned on the news front.

Bare with us though.

And any items you spot - send them in to [EMAIL PROTECTED]