RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[22] Go ahead, make our day
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2002 by tb:
For a bit of pre match stress relief, you can't do better than have a go at this:

 http://www.btinternet.com/~dave_katy/shootthescousers.html scouse busters

---------------------------------
[21] Wilf on Scholesy, Nicky and Diego
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2002 by tb:
>From TEAMtalk

"Paul Scholes is one of my favourite players and you can
rely on him doing everything you want from a midfield player.
"He is very creative and can score goals which will just freshen the side up.

"Nicky Butt will be looking to prove himself, not only for United but for England and
he is capable of doing it."

"Forlan has got talent and he's going to be up for this one - it's his
opportunity."

"It's never easy playing away, especially in Europe, but United have got the
talent to get a win," added McGuinness.

---------------------------------
[20]JSV's OK, OK?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2002 by redend:
Seba will be available for Boro on Saturday according to the Argentina team doctor.

[Call me a cynic but this story is already sounding like our JSV was given a bit of
shore leave/R&R to see friends & family and the injury was a cover story. Same goes
for Ruud off to Holland. I'm not knocking this though - get the lads charged up for
the run in.]

Apparently JSV flew back to South America for a scan [Don't they have scanners here
then? I think the club should buy one, would save a lot on air fares.]  on the injury
that ruled him out of the Boavista game tonight. Now he's been given the all-clear to
line up against the Smog Monsters.

Donato Villani, the Argentina team Quack is reported to have said:
"Veron is not seriously injured. The player has suffered pain [homesickness?], but he
will have no problems training and playing with his team. There was logical
apprehension because in principle it seemed that it was more serious, but the scans
confirm that it was nothing of importance.

"I myself spoke with Veron and he told me he would play next Saturday in the English
league and that he will also be in the squad for the game against Cameroon on the 27th
of this month.The information that arrived from England was very bad, but Veron calmed
me on the telephone."

---------------------------------
[19]Quarter Final Aways
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2002 by redend:
>From the below it sounds like if its oversubscribed you go into a ballot so that
>those who've done 1 Euro away this season get same priority as those who've done them
>all. Can't be right - OK not many have the cash to do them all but they should reward
>loyalty a bit more than this.

manutd.com
Quarter-Final Away Tickets
The draw for the UEFA Champions League Quarter-Finals will take place on Friday 22
March. The first leg is scheduled to be played on Tuesday 2 or Wednesday 3 April and
the second leg on Tuesday 9 or Wednesday 10 April. Please note we will not know which
leg will be played away until after the Boavista game on 19 March.

In anticipation of receiving an allocation of match tickets for whoever we will play,
applications for tickets only will be invited from members only who wish to make their
own travel arrangements, regardless of the opposition, and who have previously
purchased a ticket from the club for at least one of the away games in the competition
so far this season.

If demand exceeds the ticket allocation received, a ballot will take place in order to
determine the successful applicants.

Application forms are now available to personal callers at the Ticketing & Membership
Services or upon request by telephoning 0161 868 8455 or 0161 868 8467 during office
hours, which are 09:00 to 17:00 Monday to Friday.

All completed forms must be returned to us no later than 17:00 on Tuesday 26 March.
If making an application Season Ticket & League Match Ticket Book holders are
requested to produce voucher 73 duly completed and all applicants wanting their
tickets to be posted must supply a special delivery envelope.

Due to time constraints, application forms have been sent to members who have
previously travelled on the club’s day trip this season and who may wish to travel on
this occasion, providing a trip is to be arranged.  If you have any queries regarding
club travel, please telephone 0161 868 8464 again during normal office hours.

---------------------------------
[18] Celeb Red B'Day
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2002 by redend:
Terry Hall of the Specials etc is 43 today.

We thought you should know.

---------------------------------
[17]Today's Bex Bollox
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2002 by redend:
>From Ananova:

The full trailer for Gurinder Chadha's new film Bend It Like Beckham has been posted
online.

The film concerns an Indian girl who dreams of becoming a football star.Victoria and
David Beckham liked a preview of the film so much they have agreed to be in its final
scene.

Bend It Like Beckham is Chadha's third movie, and is released on April 12.

If you are curious (& a bit sad) the trailer is available to watch in either
http://http://212.100.224.101/./media/video/bend_it_like_beckham_trailer_100k.ram Real
Media or
http://http://www.ananova.com/yournews/story/www.waytoblue.com/media/video/bend_it_like_beckham_trailer_100k.asx
 Windows format.

---------------------------------
[16] SING WHEN YOU'RE LOSING?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2002 by redend:
Alex Plypin vents his not insignificant spleen (use a damp cloth and some white wine
or it will stain):

In yet another monumental waste of taxpayers' money, some york professor has come up
with another study of enormous import. From his findings, it makes you wonder whether
the poor lad does not get himself out and about enough. As someone who has been to
sarfampton on several occasions - although admittedly not to the new ground - I cannot
recall them ever singing anything other than ONE song. A Wall of Sound it was NOT!

The variety, topicality, ingenuity, and sometimes downright crudity of the offerings
at OT over the years have marked The Reds as being something special. The plagiarism
by 'opposing' fans shows that, whilst they might hate us, they either admire our work
- or cannot come up with anything better themselves. I have no time for those who try
to start up the old celtic/sheepshaggeurs anthem (if you don't know what I am on
about, you should cease reading this forthwith, and join your mates in the magastore!)
I am also at a loss to explain the apparent obsession with the loser blues, those at
the wrong end of the East Lancs , and - in particular - their viewing habits.

Michael Palin was once in a sketch where he was charged with the task of coming up
with a suitably offensive nickname for the Belgians. One suggestion was -

`Let's not call them anything! Let's just ignore them!!'

We don't mind. They don't matter. Otherwise, you just encourage them!!

AP

---------------------------------
[15] Cuddly Pete "very, very confident" on Becks contract
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2002 by tb:
"I am sure we will get it done, hopefully before the end of the season or when he goes
to the World Cup.

"We can then enjoy a good run in and he can enjoy a good World Cup knowing his future
is secure and we have secured it.

"There is no such thing as 100 per cent, but I have got to say that we are very, very
confident.

"We have always felt that David wants to remain with us and we want David to remain
and that is the great basis for any negotiation and we are confident, and he's
confident, that we will complete it.

"From our point of view, the next several weeks are so important to the output of our
season that we really want to put it behind us as soon as possible and have everybody
concentrating on the real job in hand which is picking up some trophies."

---------------------------------
[14] Ole on Diego
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2002 by tb:
"He has been looking lively."

"If you see him in training, his finishing ability is something we know is going to
get many goals for us.

"His first goal is going to come for him and he will be a great asset for us."

---------------------------------
[13] Ole Chuffed
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2002 by tb:
"Yeah, I think this is my best season."

"I think this is the best team I've played in, so maybe that's a natural consequence.

"But I don't rate myself by how many goals I score. That's great, but I play for the
team and that's the most important thing.

"I think my overall game has improved this season. I'm getting stronger, I'm getting
more experienced and I've played for a long time now."

---------------------------------
[12] Pinnochio gets all giddy
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2002 by redend:
Well, it must be all that extra oxygen that he breathes in....

The Sun:

"We'll win by a nose"

PHIL THOMPSON is sniffing more European glory.

The stand-in Liverpool boss insists the team can conquer Roma in tonight's Champions
League showdown - and bounce off the bottom of Group B to reach the last eight.

Ironically, the European Cup last took pride of place in the club's trophy cabinet
following a victory over the very same Italian club in the 1984 final.

Thompson joked: "If anyone is going to win this group by a nose it should be us after
all the stick I have taken.

"But it will be a daunting test for Roma. Anfield is a tight ground and with a
sell-out crowd behind us I am convinced we will win."

And midfielder Steven Gerrard, 21, believes Liverpool will pick up the trophy in May
if they win tonight.

---------------------------------
[11] Fergie on Diego
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2002 by redend:
More Fergie quotes from the Sun:

United will look to Diego Forlan tonight to supply the goals alongside Ole Gunnar
Solskjaer.

Uruguayan Forlan, 22, is handed his full Champions League debut because of a groin
injury to Ruud van Nistelrooy.

It will be only his second start following a £7million switch from Argentine outfit
Independiente.

And he is still searching for his first United goal. [Please let it happen tonight!]

But Ferguson is predicting a bright future for the Old Trafford new boy. He said: "If
he gets one goal, there will be plenty more to follow - you can be sure of that.

[Can't disagree there Alex]

---------------------------------
[10] Fergie on Europe
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2002 by redend:
I'm not quite sure how, but this must be one of Fergie's mind game things surely? The
Sun reports....

ALEX FERGUSON has made a rallying cry to his Premiership colleagues to help him stop a
Spanish Armada.

The Manchester United boss fears the might of Spain is set to dominate football unless
England's top clubs can do something about it.

So he has urged Liverpool and Arsenal to take the bull by the horns and join United in
the last eight of the European Cup.

Ferguson said: "The Spanish league is the best in Europe at the moment - there is no
doubt about that. They could end up with three teams in the quarter-finals.

"But I would like to see Arsenal and Liverpool join us in the quarter-finals to prove
we are close to them.

"We need that sort of boost, that injection into our game.

"To have three teams there ourselves would be marvellous."

---------------------------------
[9] Andy Cole Unhappy Already?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2002 by redend:
The SUN reports:

"ANDY COLE will quit Blackburn at the end of the season - just five months after his
£7million move from Manchester United.

The England striker, 30, is growing increasingly unhappy with Rovers' struggle at the
foot of the Premiership.

There are also rumours of unrest among the rest of the squad."

---------------------------------
[8] Feeling lucky?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2002 by redend:
Have a punt on the United v Boavista game with SportingOdds.co.uk

Boa to win - 9/4
United to win - evens
Draw - 9/4

and remember, if you go there via the link below, you'll be supporting your favourite
fanzine too.

 http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews3 Go to
SportingOdds.co.uk now

---------------------------------
[7] Ticket for the quarters
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2002 by redend:
Ticket applications for the home tie of the quarter final (for all possible dates) are
now being accepted from members via the United web site.

---------------------------------
[6] Fergie fleeces a Rent Boy
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2002 by redend:
>From Ananova:

Sir Alex Ferguson has been awarded £7,500 libel damages over an allegation in the
London Evening Standard's David Mellor column.

Mellor claimed Ferguson was being paid £10,000 per match to give half-time and end of
match interviews to ITV.

Mr Justice Gray, sitting in London in the High Court without a jury, accepted the
allegation was wholly without foundation.

He awarded Ferguson £7,500 damages as a vindication of his reputation.

---------------------------------
[5] Hitzfeld on Utd job
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2002 by redend:
"It was a big honour for me to be asked about coming to United, but I have a contract
with Bayern and I like being in Munich. It was a relief when Sir Alex announced he was
staying because it stopped the speculation."

---------------------------------
[4] Hitzfeld the dream wrecker?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2002 by redend:
"It would be a dream for us both to get to the final again. I know how much it would
mean to Sir Alex with it being in Glasgow. It will hurt me to break his dream but I
will have to if necessary."

---------------------------------
[3] Jimmy Davis wants a sniff of the action
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2002 by redend:
"It has meant the world to me being signed by the biggest club there is, and I’ve been
happy ever since I moved up here when I was 16.

"Hopefully, with a bit of luck and me playing well, we’ll see if I can get into that
first team.

"Obviously there a lot of great midfield players at United and it is so tough to get a
chance. The way I look at it is that I’m playing and training with top players.

"I’m learning my trade at the best place and, if I don’t make it, then hopefully I’ll
get other chances somewhere else.

"When you can watch people like Beckham, Veron and Keane in training, you can always
pick up things.

"I’ve been involved in the England set-up since I was 15. I know what it’s all about
and I want to be seen by other clubs so I might get the chance to go out on loan and
gain more experience. But I need a sniff of first-team football so I can see what I
can handle."

---------------------------------
[2] Webber on getting past Ruud, Ole, Diego
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2002 by redend:
And some bloke called Dwight:

"It crosses your mind, of course it does. But if you doubt yourself, then it's not a
good thing.

"You've got to be confident in yourself, learn from what the first team players are
doing and, hopefully, you'll be there sooner or later.

"We don't usually train with the senior squad but there are days when we do, and that
is great. You can get frustrated playing in the reserves but we know that in view of
the first team situation at the moment, there isn't much chance of pushing up.

"I think about my future a lot and it does get to me sometimes. You don't always know
if you are even going to get into the reserves because the likes of Dwight Yorke or
Diego Forlan can come down from the first team to play.

"That is frustrating because I want to be playing every game, but I do see my future
at United. Even so, I don’t want to be still sitting in the reserves when I’m 23 or
24, because I am not lacking in ambition and I do want first team football.

"I want to make it with United and I’m confident I can. But, if not, I’m confident I
can do it at a decent level somewhere else.

"That’s why the chance to play international football is good because it gives you a
different challenge."

---------------------------------
[1] Danny Webber on being a Red
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2002 by redend:
"Being a Manchester lad and a United fan makes it a real bonus being at United. It is
a good thing for me to be playing with the best players around.

"I used to kick about with Darren and Jason (cousins and ex divs) in the local park. I
still see them and there's a bit of mickey-taking. But they encourage me and so do my
mum and dad. They tell me about the pitfalls of the game so I can learn from them and
steer myself away from them."

Being seen with City rejects being amongst the worst pitfalls one would assume?