RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[32] Draw details
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2002 by redend:
>From UEFA:

The UEFA Champions League quarter-final draw takes place tomorrow at 11:30 UK time
(12.30CET) at the House of Football in Nyon.

Group winners kept apart
The four group winners in the hat are Manchester United FC from Group A, Barcelona
from Group B, Madrid from Group C and Leverkusen from Group D. FC Bayern München,
Liverpool FC, Panathinaikos and Deportivo all advanced as runners-up. The draw will
pit each group winner against a runner-up from one of the other three groups.

National derbies in prospect
Teams from the same second group stage section cannot meet, but teams from the same
country can. This means quarter-final ties between Spanish, German and English sides
are all possible. In each quarter-final, the group winner has the advantage [?] of
playing the second leg at home.

Don't forget the Champions League Draw will be covered live here on the
http://www.rednews.co.uk/forum/RED.php RED FORUM tomorrow from 11:30 (UK time, 12:30
CET).

Bookmark it now:
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/forum/RED.php

---------------------------------
[31] Fixture dates
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2002 by redend:
Don't forget the Champions League Draw will be covered live here on the
http://www.rednews.co.uk/forum/RED.php RED FORUM tomorrow from 11:30 (UK time, 12:30
CET).

Bookmark it now:
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/forum/RED.php http://www.rednews.co.uk/forum/RED.php

Quarter-finals 1st leg - 02,03 Apr 2002

Quarter-finals 2nd leg - 09,10 Apr 2002

Semi-finals 1st leg - 23,24 Apr 2002

Semi-finals 2nd leg - 30 Apr/01 May 2002

Final - 15 May 2002

---------------------------------
[30] Final Group Tables
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2002 by redend:
 Group A P Pts

Man. United 6 12
Bayern München 6 12
Boavista 6 5
Nantes 6 2

 Group C P Pts

Real Madrid 6 16
Panathinaikos 6 8
Sparta Praha 6 6
Porto 6 4

 Group B P Pts

Barcelona 6 9
Liverpool 6 7
Roma 6 7
Galatasaray 6 5

 Group D P Pts

Bay. Leverkusen 6 10
Dep. La Coruña 6 10
Arsenal 6 7
Juventus 6 7

---------------------------------
[29] All Champs Lge results
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2002 by redend:
>From Tuesday & Wednesday

TUE
A Bayern München Nantes 2-1
A Boavista Man. United 0-3
B Galatasaray Barcelona 0-1
B Liverpool Roma 2-0

WED
C Panathinaikos Real Madrid 2-2
C Sparta Praha Porto 2-0
D Dep. La Coruña Bay. Leverkusen 1-3
D Juventus Arsenal 1-0

---------------------------------
[28] Porto stories
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2002 by redend:
Posted by Kerry on the  http://www.rednews.co.uk/forum/RED.php RED FORUM:

A few select memories ...
1) Best of all had to be after the match, when making my way down from the back of the
top tier there were only a few hundred left in the stadium. Phil Nev comes out to warm
down, and while he jogs round the pitch, is greeted with 'Neville give us a song', so
he duly jogs over to the United end, shushes us all down a la David May, and breaks
into 'If you all hate Scousers...'. Quality.

2) Drinking pints of 'blue'. What was that all about?! Still, it was better than
'green'!!

3) Darts - just want to thank Fergus for paying for half our drinks!!

4) Big Rich standing up to give us abuse as we sat in the top of a bar, while someone
removed his seat from behind him, his subsequent tumble backwards and flick of his
legs taking out 2 tables and 5 beers!!

5) Cheese and ham toasties. Good to sample the local cuisine...!

A cracking trip [Grommet?] all in all. Back to Athens for the QF - Lavabore anyone?!

---------------------------------
[27] Hancock gets prime time
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2002 by redend:
Arch ABU, Nick Hancock, a man who once hid in the toilet on a train for his entire
journey because he was scared of getting battered by Reds, is to join Radio Five Live,
as a fishing correspondent with a 6am show on Saturday mornings. That'll be promotion
then.

The "comedian" - also the man Danny Baker, or was it Kelly, recently described as a
Stoke fan who used to support Port Vale, is best known for his ABU antics as the host
of They Think It's All Over .... [.... It is now ... SMACK!].

---------------------------------
[26] Butt & Balls
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2002 by redend:
This comes in from our French agent:

Rumours in France are that Monaco interested in Nicky Butt.

If this happens I will eat my balls!

[Thanks Marc - I'll bring a camera for RED NEWS if transfer goes through.]

---------------------------------
[25] Out of the frying pan ...
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2002 by redend:
... and into the fire

Apparently Olivier Dacourt is having second thoughts about moving from Leeds to Lazio
because of their rascist fans! Not that we're saying Leeds are a rascist club or
anything .. but plenty of the mongs who support them are.

Monsieur Dacourt - Wake up & smell the ..... sheep dip.

---------------------------------
[24] Arse Trophy Countdown?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2002 by redend:
The Arse treble has gone - now Vieira reckons they are going for the double.

As Ted Rogers used to say, well more display with finger gestures, "3 - 2 - 1" .... [
- 0 ]

Vieira said:
"I will try to do my best and try to win the Premier League and the FA Cup ... [ ..
and the ... oh no that's it isn't it.]"

Wenger said: I did not see it. We are the best. We were unlucky. We will win the
League, the FA Cup, the European Cup (next year) and the World Cup in the Summer.
Manchester United are lucky .. the FA gave it to them ......

---------------------------------
[23] Turin turns up to see the future champs
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2002 by redend:
Massive 8,562 to see the future treble winners last night..... and that included a
decent travelling Arse support to swell the ranks of the part time b@stards from Turin?

---------------------------------
[22] Reserve teams (1-1)
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2002 by redend:
Unwashed Stiffs - Parry, Heggem, Vignal (Warnock 64), Culshaw, Wright, Biscan, Barmby,
Redknapp, Baros, Berger (Sjolund 64), Diomede.

Manchester United Reserves - Carroll, Irwin, Pugh, O'Shea, Brown (Tierney 45),
Fortune, Davis (Muirhead 73), Stewart, Webber, Nardiello, Djordjic.

Redknapp scored for them while Danny Webber scored from a Bojan Djordic cross. Both
keepers played well with Carroll having another outstanding game.

---------------------------------
[21] Return of the bizarre
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2002 by redend:
... testicle mutilation stories. By popular demand ... and while the editor's still
getting inebriated and flagellated (probably at the same time) in Porto.

Bizarre 1: More than a mouthful

- this woman may be able to help Marc out (see news item [26]) if the French Butt
rumour proved true.

A Ugandan woman has been accused of biting off her husband's penis and testicles
during a row. [DURING a row!??]

Her husband is recovering at home after doctors managed to sew them back on.

The husband told the newspaper: "By the time my neighbour came to my rescue, she had
bitten off both my testicles and the penis. I doubt whether I will regain my manhood."

He claims she attacked him after he caught her trying to assault their stepdaughter
[what was she trying to bite off her?] and slapped her.

Bizarre 2: Old Farts

One for our very own RN correspondent .. the Old Fart:

Two ageing pranksters are facing fines and jail for repeatedly letting off "fart
spray" in a New Jersey supermarket. Shopper Brian Lee, 18, said: "It smelled like
somebody had let a real stinker in there. It was pretty nasty."

Ranallo, 65, and Jacoby, 50, had sprayed the offending fumes inside the ShopRite
supermarket, the municipal court in Warren heard.Similar occurrences had surfaced in
the past when Ranallo and Jacoby were in the supermarket, reports The Express-Times.
Shop assistant Jolene Kolakowski had to vomit behind a till.

Cans of fart spray and a fart machine was found on the men.
Municipal Court Judge Joseph W. Steinhardt said, "These two guys were amusing
themselves. Apparently Mr. Ranallo has a fart fixation."

Afterwards, Ranallo said the judge's decision angered him, adding: "I don't want to be
known as the fart guy."
(Ananova)

---------------------------------
[20] Desailly disses the King
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2002 by tb:
In his new book,

"The English can see an exceptional champion in Cantona all
they like, but he has never won anything in France. Eric had talent,
but jibbed at putting it at the service of the national team.

"He never spoke much to the young ones and waited too often for the
team to play for him, neglecting defensive tasks."

"When he flicks at a ball without conviction, it annoys me.
Everything will be fine when he behaves the same with France as he
does with Manchester United."

Oooh, get her

---------------------------------
[19] Wenger still conceited
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2002 by redend:
Remember after we won the Treble - he still said Arsenal were better than us and that
they'd just been unlucky!

On their embarrassing flop the scoutmaster said: "This will not stop us. Do I still
believe we can become the best in the world? Yes, I do. We are in a good position in
the championship and we also have a good chance to win the FA Cup."

"We will come back and win this competition next season. We have a team that are good
enough to win it. We are not far away. We must respond positively to this situation.
But we could have an advantage over Manchester United and Liverpool if we do respond
well."

"We have more players who want to join us than want to leave. Our big problem is
refusing players who want to join us." [You what?].

"Of course we are disappointed but we had the right attitude and battled until the
last minute. We were unfortunate to lose the game." [You mean like when you got a
penalty when Henry dived? Presumably you did not see it?]

"Our away record could be a psychological problem but I don't think it is. We got a
draw in Germany and were unlucky in this game. [Unlucky? Obviously you did not see it?]

"I believe we actually lost this group at home in losing to Deportivo. If we had at
least drawn against them then they would have had to get a result."
[Yes, it was their fault and not yours.]

[18] GN: Losing to Liverpool is unthinkable
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2002 by redend: