RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[34] Veron to start tomorrow
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
So reckons the MEN

---------------------------------
[33] We've got that Micky Phelan, whow that Micky Phelan
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
The man himself took charge of the MUTV pre-match team talk about Chelsea, this from
the official site

Injuries

"Every one's back from international duty fit and ready, they've all been  training.

"You can't prepare for making every player fit. We've got a game against Chelsea and
then we'll move on to the next one. So whatever team plays against Chelsea will be the
team to try and get the result there, and then we'll move on to the game on Wednesday
and hope fully progress in that."

Last match against Chelsea

"It was a 3-0 defeat but at the time it was probably fair to say weren't at our best.
We'll be a different opposition this time.

Saturday's match

"It's going to be tough - a nice early kick off for a change and I think the players
will be ready to put in a good performance.

"The players adjust to play at any time, as and when and at this club you've got to be
prepared to play as and when and where. We've prepared well and we'll be ready for it
to get on with the game.

"Little bits of planning come into it, always have done. The players are aware that
with the travelling in the week the rests have got to be taken care of and I'm sure
the players will have a good rest Friday night and wake up nice and fresh.

"It's a game of football just the same and we approach the game just the same. We play
on Saturday and some teams play on Sunday. It's a match that we've got to win and
we'll be doing our best to do that.

Chelsea's form

"Chelsea at the moment are on an upward surge. They have become quite a decent side in
last few months and they're showing signs of improvement all the time. They are a team
that on the day they can perform with the best. We also know now that we're in for
prizes and we've got to maintain our performances all the way though.

"It's got the makings of a very good game. Both sides can score goals and we could be
in for a treat. Both are exceptionally good sides. There's talent in abundance in both
sets of teams. So all in all we may have a spectacle.

Strikers

"I think their strikers have shown very good understanding. Hasselbaink has definitely
come to form, everyone knows he's very powerful and he can score goals from anywhere.
Gudjohnsen is improving all the time and they're starting to form a great partnership.
So it's an area we're just going to have to look out for.

"With Ruud and Ole, we've got four players out of two teams and you know if those four
play to their potential we're in for a great game. I think in the dressing room the
players and the staff are very pleased with Ruud's contribution and I think with the
season he's had, but also the season before that with his injury, he's been excellent.
He's come back to claim such a good honour as the PFA award. To score the goals he's
scored and to give everyone at this club a lift has been terrific. So we're all
pleased."

---------------------------------
[32] Get the current Red News next Wednesday
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
You can get a copy of the current issue of Red News - issue 85 - before the game on
Wednesday. Just 31.50.

Help us with our costs by bagging a copy.

We will also have a special offer package for this game only where you can get a joint
package of Great United Songs and our Fergie Special - just £2 for the pair - bag it
while you can!

---------------------------------
[31] Fans United
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
Press Release

A joint fans protest to UEFA.

RIVAL fans have united to lobby football's governing body and end a policy that
promotes ticket touting and disorder.

Independent supporters' groups from Champions' League semi-finalists Real Madrid,
Barcelona, Manchester United and Bayer Leverkusen have signed a joint letter of
protest at UEFA's decision to give almost half of the tickets for this year's final to
neutral spectators and corporate guests.

Glasgow's Hampden Park, which will host the final on 15 May, seats 52,500 fans. UEFA
has announced that 24,500 tickets will go to businesses and neutrals. The clubs will
receive 14,000 each, of which a further proportion will be sold to executive
spectators.

The supporters, brought together by the Eurofans campaign, warn that tens of thousands
of ticketless fans will travel to Hampden and buy tickets for inflated prices on the
black market. The fans' group is accusing UEFA of hypocrisy, as it insists on strict
segregation while employing a policy that encourages its breakdown. They are urging
UEFA president Lennart Johansson to reconsider.

Andrew Lindsay, Eurofans spokesman, said: "UEFA is ensuring thousands of fans miss out
on a massive occasion while others will be forced to pay hundreds of pounds for a
ticket.

"It is unjustifiable and it is asking for trouble. Opposing fans could be all over the
ground and large groups will be left outside. Once again, match-going supporters have
been ignored."

The campaigners, who are also supported by fans' groups from defeated
quarter-finalists Liverpool, Bayern Munich and Panathinaikos, demand that UEFA reviews
its unpopular policy of touting tickets to neutrals and companies months in advance of
the final.

All football fans are urged to email [EMAIL PROTECTED] with their thoughts.

· The Letter

Dear Mr Johansson

We, the undersigned fans' representatives of the four 2001-2002 Champions' League
semi- finalists, wish to register our protest at the proposed ticket allocations for
this year's final, to be staged at Hampden Park, Glasgow.

We feel that an allocation of 14,000 tickets per team is a recipe for disaster. Not
only could each of our clubs quite comfortably sell many more tickets, but it is
obvious that thousands more fans - and in some cases tens of thousands - will travel
to Glasgow.

This will give rise to increased touting, profiteering and forgery, as well as being a
blatant security risk and amplifying the chances of violence. As peaceful football
supporters, this is simply unacceptable to us.

We hereby urge you to reconsider the allocation before disastrous consequences are
realised. It is surely unfair that the fans of the two most successful clubs should
make do with less than half of the  tickets between them.

Yours sincerely

Andrew Lindsay, Independent Manchester United Supporters' Association
Joan Laporta, L'Elefant Blau, Barcelona
L Felipe Lainez, Orgullo Vikingo, Real Madrid
Tobias Naumann, elected spokesman of Bayer Leverkusen fans

---------------------------------
[30] More on Keano story
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From soccernet

'Roy Keane is on course to make a shock comeback in time for the second leg of
Manchester United's Champions League semi- final in Germany in 11 days.

The Manchester United captain was expected to struggle to be fit for the Champions
League Final on May 15 after tearing a hamstring against Deportivo La Coruna little
more than a fortnight ago.

But Soccernet understands that Keane is making better progress than expected in his
recovery, and is increasingly confident that he could be ready if needed in an
emergency when United fly to Bayer Leverkusen a week on Monday.

With David Beckham definitely out with a broken foot and Juan Sebastian Veron
continuing to battle against a nagging achilles problem, United are short of midfield
options.

If Veron is fit, Keane will not be risked but the 30-year-old is hopeful that he will
at least be in a position to give United manager Sir Alex Ferguson a last-ditch option
if required. '

---------------------------------
[29] Wenger dig, part 09850976907
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
"The game was always set on May 8 and I don't know why Manchester United suddenly
wanted to change it."

---------------------------------
[28] Stefan in bother again
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
Stefan Effenberg said the other day

"I would cut jobless support to a minimum so that everyone would have to go to work. A
lot are apparently living so comfortably from jobless benefits that they don't have
any desire to get up early each morning and go to work."

Germany went ballistic and he now has added

 "I didn't want to insult the unemployed who are really looking for a job, but I think
the mass of unemployed is the way I described it. People are attacking me for it but
I'm entitled to my opinion."

---------------------------------
[27] Giggs mystified by Chelsea record
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
"We're painfully aware that Stamford Bridge has been far from a happy hunting ground
for us. I honestly don't know why they have such a good record against us."

---------------------------------
[26] Giggs wants Blanc to stay
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
"When you've got Laurent's positional sense, you don't need blistering pace. Of
course, even those skills eventually fade but I can't see Laurent suddenly losing the
talents that have made him a world- class player for so long.  It shows his strength
of character that he has brushed off the criticism he had early on has and become such
a key part of the side. If he does stick with his decision to retire, he will leave a
big void in the team."

---------------------------------
[25] You dirty old man?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
'HARRRROOOOOOLLLLLLDDDDDD'

>From the Mirror

'SVENSATIONAL!

England football coach's shock affair with Shooting Star Ulrika
IT HAS got to be the most extraordinary love match we've ever come across - and we
could hardly believe it ourselves - but gorgeous TV beauty Ulrika Jonsson is having a
passionate romance with England coach Sven Goran Eriksson.

We can reveal that a close friendship between this charismatic Swedish duo has
blossomed into a full-blown love affair.

We know you might be rubbing your eyes in disbelief but, please, bear with us.

Blonde Ulrika, 34, bumped into the suave England supremo at an exclusive party in
London a few months ago.

The two strangers in a strange land were instantly drawn together because of their
mutual Scandinavian roots and soon began finding lots in common.'

---------------------------------
[26] Becks moves close to Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the SUN

'ENGLAND ace David Beckham is splashing out £850,000 on a shrub-berly new home just 50
YARDS from his club boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

Becks, 26, has been looking to move from his two-bed-flat in Alderley Edge, Cheshire,
as wife Posh expects their second child.

Now he is set to snap up his dream pad — a mock Georgian mansion on a leafy estate,
complete with a stone fountain in the circular drive and a big garage for his fleet of
flash cars.

And Manchester United chief Sir Alex, 60, will be able to keep a close eye on his
team’s star midfielder because he lives just three doors away in the same exclusive
street in Wilmslow, Cheshire.

Becks, Posh and their son Brooklyn, three, are expected to move into their new home in
June after exchanging contracts with current owners Richard and Claire Armstrong.

Yesterday a pal of the Armstrongs said they were delighted to be selling to one of
Britain’s top showbiz couples.

He said: “It’s a magnificent house — a mansion fit for a king. Claire and Richard are
over the moon that the Beckhams are buying it and know it will be a wonderful family
home.

“There’s a lovely garden at the back for David and Brooklyn to kick a football about
and acres of space inside for all of Posh’s clothes.”

The Beckhams spotted the house when it was put on the market two months ago and
appeared in a society magazine.

Victoria, 28, fell in love with the place last month when she viewed it with pal Jill
Hughes — wife of ex-Manchester United striker Mark, 38.

And when she saw it again with David days later, they knew they had found their ideal
home.

Earlier this week, the thrilled couple were seen giving Victoria’s mum Jackie, 53, dad
Tony, 55 and brother Christian, 22, a 30-minute guided tour.

The two-storey house, built in 1988, boasts four double bedrooms and three large
bathrooms.

It also has a 20ft by 15ft kitchen, a cloakroom and a utility room. The property is
surrounded by security cameras and it is believed the Beckhams are considering
building a wall around it to keep out prying eyes.

One neighbour said: “We’ve seen the Beckhams visiting the house. It’s great that
they’re our new neighbours.”

Dad-of-three Sir Alex has lived on the estate for years with wife Cathy.

The Beckhams already have a £2.5million seven-bed house, dubbed Beckingham Palace, in
Hertfordshire.'

---------------------------------
[25] Guardian reports
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
That Sven and Fergie met up for a chat in London last night.

---------------------------------
[24] Who?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
Arsenal's new sponsor is mobile firm MmO2.

Who?

Or is it a moniker for Manchester (United always) make (us finish) 02?

---------------------------------
[23] Sven - Gerrard could play Becks way
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
"We saw how well Steven Gerrard and Michael Owen played together on Saturday and again
here.  I've watched Steven play on the right many times. He is the complete
midfielder. He can play inside or in the outside right position. He is a strong
candidate for Beckham's role."

---------------------------------
[22] Gerrard fancies Becks role
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
" Everyone knows I prefer to play in the middle but, with David missing, someone needs
to do the job. We all want David Beckham back as soon as possible because we all know
how much he means to England. When I heard about his foot injury I was like everyone
else in being worried and concerned because he is so important to us. I didn't realise
how serious it was until I saw the papers the next day. He is such a great player who
leads by example and has won us so many of our games. I am sure he will be fit for the
World Cup. But we have got to cope without him for the time being and it puts a bit
more responsibility on the other players. Me and Kieron Dyer worked on set-pieces in
training, me on the right and him from the left.  When you're told you are playing on
the right side, you've got to approach the game a little bit differently. You must get
forward more and supply crosses for the front men. There was a lot more space out
wide. I think I did well but I'm not good enough !
to keep David out of the team when he's fit."

---------------------------------
[21] Pires ops for op
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Professor Franceschi said it was better to go for the operation even if I was not
that far from avoiding it. What is incredible is that I am perfectly able to run, if I
was asked to run 10 kilometres, I could do it without any problem. As far as the
flexibility is concerned my injured knee reacts almost as well as the normal one. But
the professor told me there is no guarantee it will not break in two months time so I
decided not to take any risk."

---------------------------------
[20] Squad for  tomorrow
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
Barthez, Carroll, G Neville, Blanc, Brown, Irwin, P Neville, Silvestre, Fortune,
Veron, Butt, Scholes, Giggs, van Nistelrooy, Solskjaer, Forlan, O’Shea, Stewart, van
der Gouw.

---------------------------------
[19] Rumours abound
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
that Keane came through a  training session yesterday
and might be available for the second leg of the semi final.

---------------------------------
[18] One happy Red
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
who went to the IMUSA meeting with Ole and Ruud last night

'We had a great night - my young 'un got his shirt signed, photos etc, and even got to
ask a question ["Ollie - Why do you score so many goals?"]. Look forward to the next
one.

Cheers lads.'

---------------------------------
[17] Win £20 if we win tomorrow
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
"BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER"

Register with SportingODds and place a £5 bet on any Chelsea v Manchester United
market and they will give you £20 if Manchester United win the match.

To take advantage of this offer or for further details click here:

 http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0
http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0

---------------------------------
[16] Riise knocks United
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
John Arne Riise

"Arsenal have everything in their own hands and will take the title if they win their
last five games. Unlike the other contenders, they haven't had any bad spells this
season. Perhaps if they lose when they play United next month, that could rock their
boat. But put it this way, I'd rather be in their position than ours right now. United
have been unstable this year, something that hasn't been characteristic of them during
the last few seasons. I don't think they've got any chance of winning the
championship. For that to happen, both ourselves and Arsenal will have to mess
up.We've been improving during the season. We're very solid, and concede few goals.
Right now we just have to do our job and win our remaining games, then we'll just have
to hope that's enough to win the title."

Wouldn't it be great, just great (as I adopt a Keegan like mantra) if we won tomorrow
and started to get them worried...

---------------------------------
[15] Fergie on Brazil
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Rivaldo is one of the few players in the world who can make things happen in that
last third of the field where games are decided. Time and again with Barcelona he
produces goals out of nothing. He scores goals no one expects - overhead kicks,
beating two or three men, side-footing balls. Roberto Carlos amazes me, the energy he
shows. He is a bit unpredictable - he has this reputation of a great shot but some of
them can be wild and are likely to go 20 feet above the crossbar. Equally, the
explosive power of his shooting means that when he hits a target, it's a goal. That is
a funny thing about left-sided players - they always seem to have more style than the
right-sided player. He plays with a smile too, you know. Every time you watch him he
has this big smile on his face."

---------------------------------
[14] Fergie on France and Spain
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
 "Thierry Henry may be the one who will light up the stage for France. He is deadly
with that electric turn of pace.  In fact they have a lot of pace with the option of
Anelka, Pires - if he's fit - and Henry.

Raul is one of my favourite players because I've always preferred strikers who can
drop into spaces like we used to do with Eric Cantona, Teddy Sheringham, Dwight Yorke.
 Raul does that for Real Madrid and he's been doing it all his career. Marvellous
football brain. He's not lightning quick but he has a quick brain that makes up for
any lack of pace - and he's a wonderful finisher."

Fergie in Dwight Yorke mention shock!

---------------------------------
[13] Fergie on Veron and Argentina
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
 "He is in a great team, he is captaining it and - as with David Beckham - it has
inspired him."

---------------------------------
[12] Fergie went for the best keeper in the world
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I showed an interest in Buffon some years ago when he was only a teenager and was in
the Parma team at 17 years of age. Juventus went and paid £32million for him in the
summer. It maybe sent shockwaves through the people in the game, people who don't know
him. But, without question, he'll be the finest goalkeeper in the world.  And he's not
just a great goalkeeper, he seems to understand the game, his positional play is very
good, his temperament is good."

Barthez was once the best keeper wasn't he in Fergie's eyes?

---------------------------------
[11] Fergie on Italy
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I thought they were very unlucky in the 2000 European Championship and the team is
young enough. They still have a great defensive strength in Cannavaro, Buffon and
Nesta. Those three are marvellous players.  And they have the youth of Totti,
Delvecchio and Del Piero - they have plenty of talent in the team. If there is a
weakness I would say they don't possess an outstanding midfield player. But the back
part of the team - the goalkeeper and centre-backs and right-back - are very good. And
they have good forwards."

---------------------------------
[10] Fergie on World Cup greats
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Some players going to the World Cup will not be used to these things. When they go to
the World Cup it could be the first time they have been faced with continual
interviews and media exposure. Some of the new players may find the whole expectancy
of a World Cup may be beyond them - but you can rest assured all the great players
will love it. So that's why, come the World Cup, you expect those players to light up
the whole thing."

---------------------------------
[9] Fergie - no young stars for England
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Kieron Dyer is an option but it's not his best position. Sometimes we play Paul
Scholes there and he does very well because he has good intelligence but it's not the
best position. And therein lies a problem. I always think great players, when it comes
to the big stage, it is what they want. And if you look at the great players in the
world - Rivaldo and Zidane and Figo - this is their tournament. This is how they
inspire themselves, because they are used to big games all the time, they are used to
close marking, close attention."

---------------------------------
[8] Fergie backs Italy
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
"France have a marvellous group of players and they've some youngsters now breaking
into the squad who will augment the great pools from the European Championship in 2000
and the 1998 World Cup. But I also feel Italy will have a big chance, while Argentina
and Spain probably have some of the best young players now around. I must say I think
Italy will win"

---------------------------------
[7] Sol Campbell in confident mode
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
"In the Premiership, we don't need five wins but we are going for five"

---------------------------------
[6] Fergie tells it like it is
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I'd have to say the England group is very difficult. Aside from Argentina, Nigeria
are not easy opponents. And Sweden, of course, also have a great record.  England
don't have any young player breaking through who you would think is going to light up
the stage."

---------------------------------
[5] Rodney Marsh predicts Chelsea win
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
'What a rascal of a game. This has been labelled the game that could end Manchester
United's Premiership hopes and I think it will. They need to win every game to stand a
chance and without Beckham and Keane, I don't think they will do that.

I think the result of this game will come down to Chelsea. In some games, they have
been breathtaking with Hasselbaink and Gudjohnsen unstoppable - including their 3-0
win at Old Trafford.

Yet all too often, they have lost to lowly sides.

If Chelsea play to the best of their ability, they will win. If Manchester United's
centre-backs can cope with the two strikers, they can get something out of it, but
they have their work cut out.

Wouldn't Ken Bates love to stuff up United's chances! He considers his side the
Manchester United of the South and there's certainly no love lost between himself and
the Red Devils. Also, what a perfect time for Claudio Ranieri to celebrate getting a
new contract.

That 3-0 defeat at home to the Blues will certainly be on the minds of the Manchester
United players, but at this stage of the season, you don't need any extra motivation.
Every game is important and you are on autopilot, just putting one foot in front of
the other.

With Chelsea chasing the Champions League and Man Utd's season going down the swanny
is they lose, we are in for a cracker. One thing is guaranteed and that's a hatful of
goals. '

---------------------------------
[4] Reserves win
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
for their game at Old Trafford, 2-1 over Everton. Ronnie Wallwork and David May were
players with first team experience, Wallwork scoring and doing very well as he tries
to bag a move now his contract is up in the summer.

---------------------------------
[3] Saturday's fixtures
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
Chelsea v Man Utd (12:00)
West Ham Utd v Sunderland
Bolton v Tottenham
Leeds United v Fulham
Leicester City v Aston Villa
Liverpool v Derby County
Middlesbrough v Blackburn
Newcastle v Charlton
Southampton v Everton (17:15)

---------------------------------
[2] YOUR Memories of the season
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
The deadline for our end of season special - issue 86 - is Thursday 25th April

We're looking for your moments/memories/songs for the season for our end of season
special.

Funny/sad/on field/off it, send anything and everything to

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Remember - it's YOUR fanzine so even if it's one memory - we'd love to include it.
Thanks.

---------------------------------
[1] United Supporters summer 5-a-side tournament
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, April 19, 2002 by bar-knee:
EUROWORLD TRAVEL

2nd Annual Manchester United Supporters 5 a'side Tournament
to be held once again at  'Blackpool' Saturday 6th July
£75 per team

for an application form please call 01253 300250 or e.mail

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[41] Premier League confirm our earlier story
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, April 18, 2002 by bar-knee:
Arsenal game has been decided as May 8th by the Premier League, kick off 8pm.

---------------------------------
[40] Get £20 if we win on Saturday!
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, April 18, 2002 by bar-knee:
"BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER"

Register with SportingOdds and place a £5 bet on any Chelsea v Manchester United
market and they will give you £20 if Manchester United win the match.

To take advantage of this offer or for further details click here:

 http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0
http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0

---------------------------------
[39] Sven praises Butt
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, April 18, 2002 by bar-knee:
 "He has always been picked by me when he has been fit and I always consider him an
important player as he takes up good positions and is very good at winning the ball in
midfield. He is a very steady player and you hardly ever see him play badly. That is
good for a manager, to know that he will do a job game after game. Nicky Butt has
played a lot for Manchester United recently and is becoming better and better."

---------------------------------
[38] Gerrard on Butt
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, April 18, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I thought Nicky was fantastic on Wednesday, very strong in the way he played. He will
grind away and work hard and he is a good passer of the ball. He is an unsung hero
because he does all the dirty work, the breaking up of attacks, getting in all the
tackles and getting all the pain that comes with that sometimes. But everyone in the
squad appreciates what he does and he was excellent against Paraguay along with Paul
Scholes."

---------------------------------
[37] Arsenal game on the 8th May
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, April 18, 2002 by bar-knee:
United not happy but at the Premiership clubs meeting, date was finally agreed on for
the 8th May

---------------------------------
[36] Fans get the blame, again
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, April 18, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From skysports.com

'Gillingham chairman Paul Scally has threatened to quit the Kent club after a bust-up
with the Gills' independent supporters club.

Scally's long-running dispute with the organisation escalated on Wednesday when he
fined three players - Paul Smith, Chris Hope and Barry Ashby - for attending the
group's end-of-season awards ceremony.

And the Gills chief today emphasised the depth of his fall-out with Gillingham
Independent Supporters Club by warning he may end his seven-year reign on May 17.

The chairman has vowed to quit if the group produce sufficient funding to run the
club, or alternatively put the club up for sale.

Scally, who three years ago banned reporters from a local paper from Priestfield,
said: "Those who support this antagonistic association (GISC) believe they should be
running this club and can do a better job than myself - so I have decided to allow
them the opportunity to take the club forward themselves.

"I will allow them 30 days to find the appropriate individuals and funding acceptable
to me and the bank. If they do so, I will leave the club immediately.

"If they fail to do so and if I feel no differently to the how I feel now, I shall put
the club up for sale and allow someone else the pleasure of dealing with these
negative, soul-destroying people."

---------------------------------
[35] Veron talk will not go away
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, April 18, 2002 by bar-knee:
This time from their end, again

Lazio president Sergio Cragnotti

"He (Veron) is an objective and it would be useless to deny it. We're ready to bid for
him but clearly the last word will be from Manchester United. We need to respect the
English club's wishes."

But no go with Nesta?

"But Nesta and Crespo are untouchable as I have said many times in the past."

This email has been filtered for swear words which cause some email systems to block
messages.