Maybe we are heading backwards to the days of "playing" and "non-playing" members when one had to actually play the pipes before members (or send a tape if you were too far away or abroad) so they could decide if you could "play" or not. :)

Colin Hill
----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Rhodes" <oxpi...@hotmail.com> To: "Mike Walton" <mikeande...@worcesterfolk.org.uk>; "Dartmouth NSP" <nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2009 12:28 PM
Subject: [NSP] Re: nps

  Yes, it is all rather remarkable isn't it? My understanding has always
  been that the traditional music of the north east is Metallica, and the
  NSP is just a rather quaint musical backwater to be enjoyed by
  teachers, social workers and assorted folkies.

  There is now an interesting tutorial for playing the NSP with detached
  fingering on Youtube:

  [1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7paLft9_ms

  Enjoy!

  Paul

  > Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 02:28:43 +0100
  > To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu
  > From: mikeande...@worcesterfolk.org.uk
  > Subject: [NSP] Re: nps
  >
  > what...@ntlworld.com said
  >
  > > > after talking to Tommy Breckons shorltly before his death and
  chatting
  > > > to fellow pipers after his funeral, I have come to the conclusion
  that
  > > > the Northumbrian Pipers' society has lost its way. I therefore
  ask: is
  > > > it time to form some other group or society which bases its
  playing on
  > > > a pure, traditional detached fingering technique
  >
  > Then "Paul Rhodes" <oxpi...@hotmail.com> said
  >

  > > Can we all join?
  >
  > Certainly not, at least until you've submitted to a 2 hour test of
  your
  > piping technique and received 2 days corrective tuition from a
  properly
  > approved tutor. Continuing membership will be subject to further
  testing on
  > at least an annual basis.
  >
  > I can't believe it ! Why did I ever take up this instrument which
  causes so
  > much bad feeling ?
  >
  > Mike

  Get the New Internet Explore 8 Optimised for MSN. [2]Download Now --