A fun exercise is to put a text through google translate into any language,
then pass the result back into the original language.

via Russian: Fun exercise is to put the text through Google Translate in any
language, and then pass the result back to the original language.

via Japonese: Exercise is fun, Google is placing text via translation into
other languages To pass the result to the original language.

via French (for Arthur): A fun exercise is to put a text through Google
translate in any language, then pass the result in the original language.

Alan

On Wednesday 19 January 2011 17:06:53 R. Ermers wrote:
> Still off topic:
>
> Well, this is partly lexicological knowledge and research on translation.
> Each language pair and translation direction has its peculiar problems.
>
> Whether or not you are able to say it is "pure speculation" depends on how
> familiar you are with computer linguistics, and its progress in
> determining semantic content from texts (step 1) and rephrasing it in a
> given target language (step 2).
>
> I'm glad that you accept that it is about the pair and the direction of the
> translation.
>
> Robert
>
> >> It is not a language in general that is difficult, but the pair a
> >> language is in: the pair English-Russian is, in some aspects, more
> >> difficult than the other way around because of the choice for the
> >> perfective aspect or imperfective aspect of the tenses. An English text
> >> does not offer any clues as to which aspect to choose, but anyone who
> >> wants to speaks Russian has to decide instantly. A program is unlikely
> >> do that.
> >>
> >  I'm sorry, but that's pure speculation.  It would be interesting to
> >
> > see research about machine translation for some particular language
> > pairs, though.
> >
> >     Arthur

Alan Braslau
CEA DSM-IRAMIS-SPEC