On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 8:00 PM, Ken Schaefer <k...@adopenstatic.com> wrote:
> And it's not about "paying peanuts get monkeys" - what's happened
> too much in IT is paying inflated salaries for "well trained engineers"
> yet projects are late/over budget/etc.

  I've found there's plenty of both.  Some companies underpay and get
clueless people, and that ends badly.  And some companies pay top
dollar but still get clueless people, and that ends badly.  There
doesn't seem to be a correlation between clue and pay.

  Again, I suspect the problem is that it's hard to quantify clue.
Some people "get it", others don't, but it's very hard to define what
"it" is, or to determine if someone has "it".

  This also makes it hard to teach "it".  I've got two minions now,
both somewhat green to "real IT management".  While neither is a waste
of space, both also have a lot to learn.  I get the feeling there is
some systemic pattern to it that I could address if I only knew how.
:-(

-- Ben