BTDT, I used to think the same way, but the caveats are killers. I have even
seen 5 "identical" consumer PC's (ok, Gateway's so it's been a few years) that
had two different motherboards and when it came time to upgrade the purchased
RAM it only worked in three of the five.

Sometimes a local business gets bought by a bigger business and the local
business is no longer around to support said white boxes. This is how I
inherited my biggest client - their local IT support place  - which had been
selling them white box PC's - got bought and they no longer supported sub
100-seat clients. They now had to be supported by me, and as they had been
buying 3-4 PC's/year they had at least 7 different motherboards/CPU's and since
they were white box PC's there was no way to know what was what. The FIRST
thing I did was standardize on corporate PC (means Optiplex not Dimension, for
example).

Standardization and consistency are key (Drivers anyone? One stop shop for all
drivers for every system the business has). I've been using Dell for over 11
years and other than their Optiplex GX270 swollen capacitor fiasco their stuff
has *very* low MTBF. Any business big enough for a server is big enough for
business-class systems.

Unless I was always up on current hardware (I'm not, no money in it vs.
learning software and technologies), it would cost my client more for me to
spec out the internals and have it delivered and installed than it does for me
to go to Dell and spec out the Optiplex that closely matches the last one they
ordered (as in, whichever model replaced the model we ordered last year).
End-to-end time/money/effort from "we need 5 PC's, spec some out" to the time
the machine is EOL has proven to be extremely predictable and very low from a
hardware standpoint.

Dave