I actually almost got thrown out of college for doing that.  In Advanced
Assembly my Sophomore year I used, with permission, the code from a fellow
student who had written a better piece of code for the previous assignment
that the current assignment was built from.  The only difference between my
code and the code of most of my other classmates, was I gave the "proper"
credit in the code itself, and got accused of cheating by the instructor and
got us both called in front of the student ethics committee.

Basically, the teacher was pissed that I cited my work, even though he gave
us the code in class.  Except he didn't cite the source.  It became one of
those stupid college politically footballs because everyone on the committee
had to admit (privately) that I followed proper coding procedure even if the
instructor didn't.  I had to redo the assignment using my code from the
previous assignment (which I don't think even the instructor could get to
work for the second part, which is why we all ended up with the other
student's code.)  Eventually the guy I borrowed from showed me how to imbed
his code into mine so the instructor wouldn't see it, then I submitted that
to pass the class.

Needless to say I never took that instructor for a programming class
again...

BTW, the lesson we learned was to not take hardware based programming
classes from the Software instructors.