From: Webster [mailto:carlwebs...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 9:05 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Virtualization Questions - More Q's

From: Ken Schaefer [mailto:k...@adopenstatic.com]

No, you don't that type of experience.

But when you have 1000 IT personnel, they can't all be AD people, or
even domain admins.

I did some AD/GPO/WSUS troubleshooting for a company in the Global
Fortune 15.  For the one small segment of their network I worked on,
they had over 6,000 servers and over 35,000 PCs.  They had two dedicated
IT staff who did nothing but maintain the huge Excel SS of all their
DHCP scopes, reservations, server static IPs and server/scope options.
They had people who did nothing but monitor NetBackup, people who
changed tapes, people who handled Iron Mountain, etc.  Extremely
granular and an extreme PITA to do any work for.  Need a VM for testing
purposes?  A minimum 3 month process as it went thru all the change
control processes.

Webster

From: Joe Heaton [mailto:jhea...@etp.ca.gov]

Wow, that's really compartmentalized... I dunno if I'd want to work
somewhere that limits me that much as far as what I'm working with.  And
yet, I'm sure if you apply for one of those positions, you are still
required to have 10+ years experience, and expertise with Windows, Unix,
mainframes, every desktop OS known to man, etc...

Joe Heaton

Employment Training Panel

From: Ken Schaefer [mailto:k...@adopenstatic.com]

I work for Avanade - we deal mostly with large enterprises (Global 500
type companies).

In those types of orgs the AD team is usually separate from
Virtualisation (which is predominantly VMWare), which is again separate
from the hardware components (network, security, storage). Even as a
directory, AD is usually limited to the Wintel area, and most large orgs
have significant investment in *nix, midrange/mainframe systems as well.
The "source of truth" is generally other systems like HR/payroll.

As I said before - in smaller shops, there's usually significant
overlap, so it's not really an  issue. In larger shops (once there isn't
a predominance of Windows), and AD isn't "king", it starts to become
something that needs to be dealt with in some way.

Cheers

Ken