> Correct but I was only thinking of the sever licenses.  I am in an EDU

> environment where CALs are "free" under our agreement with Microsoft so I

> frequeny forget about this and you caught me in a senior moment.

:) No problem. I just wanted to clear that up because in our situation we
actually did save money on OS licenses by virtualizing and we used VMware.

To the OP: Check out these calculators to figure out what might be best for
your own environment:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/calculator.msp

It says it's for 2003 but it applies to 2008 as well.

 - Andy O.