From: Ken Schaefer [mailto:k...@adopenstatic.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 6:14 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Virtualization Questions - More Q's

I work for Avanade - we deal mostly with large enterprises (Global 500
type companies).

In those types of orgs the AD team is usually separate from
Virtualisation (which is predominantly VMWare), which is again separate
from the hardware components (network, security, storage). Even as a
directory, AD is usually limited to the Wintel area, and most large orgs
have significant investment in *nix, midrange/mainframe systems as well.
The "source of truth" is generally other systems like HR/payroll.

As I said before - in smaller shops, there's usually significant
overlap, so it's not really an  issue. In larger shops (once there isn't
a predominance of Windows), and AD isn't "king", it starts to become
something that needs to be dealt with in some way.

Cheers

Ken