+1 Nagios - yes a bit to setup - but it just runs.

+1 also for Cacti - if you want the historical graphs. Very nice.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Leone [mailto:oozerd...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2010 6:07 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Server monitoring solution recommendations?

I'm investigating server monitoring solutions for my enterprise. What
I'm interested in is real world experiences and recommendations, not
just sales pitches and product sheets that I can get from Google.

The way I see it, I need 2 basic functions: I need to be able to monitor
various aspects of a server (CPU usage, free disk space, is a service
running, does the web service return a web page in a timely manner, is
the switch at that site being overloaded, etc - the usual things you'd
want to know from a server, I think) and then alert me when certain
triggers or thresholds are crossed; and also to provide historical
reports, showing trends over time. At a previous job, I used to
ServersAlive!, which suited my needs there. But now I am at a place that
has over 100 servers and switches, across multiple sites.
And so I think I'd need something with more heft, perhaps.

We're an HP shop, and I am looking at HP's SIM (Insight Manager)
software, but that doesn't seem to monitor all the sorts of functions I
want, nor does it seem to present it in a timely manner.

I'm also looking at PacketTraps PT 360 tool suite (which is free), and
that seems to show me some of what I need, but doesn't seem to have a
lot in the way of reporting, nor have I found a way (yet) for it to
alert me to configurable settings.

I've also downloaded SpiceWorks, on the recommendation of a colleague,
but haven't had a chance to investigate it yet.

We're a gov't agency, so I don't have a whole lot of money. But I have a
need, and at the moment, nothing in place to fill it. Getting an alert
email that tells me that my mail server CPU has been up over 80% for
more than xx seconds would be a good thing, so I don't have to get phone
calls from users, asking why mail is so slow, and that's the first I've
heard of it. I'm sure you get the idea. And the boss wants reports over
time, for capacity planning and the like.

So any recommendations would be welcome, as would anything I've
forgotten. We're almost exclusively a Windows shop, but with 10 VMware
ESX hosts, a number of MS SQL servers (2000, 2005), and a number of
Cisco switches (and a couple Nortel ones scattered here and there). No
Exchange (we're a Notes shop).

TIA

----
For more information about Lewis and Roca LLP, please go to
www.lewisandroca.com.
Phoenix (602) 262-5311
Tucson (520) 622-2090
Las Vegas (702) 949-8200
Reno (775) 823-2900
Minden (775) 586-9500
Albuquerque (505) 764-5400
Silicon Valley (650) 391-1380

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended
copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the sender
of this E-Mail by return E-Mail or by telephone.

In accordance with Internal Revenue Service Circular 230, we advise you that if
this email contains any tax advice, such tax advice was not intended or written
to be used, and it cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding
penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer.