+2 or 3 for Nagios.  We have 2 different installs of Nagios, one at hq & one
at our colo facility.  Between the two of them we monitor 227 hosts and over
1000 services (ping, disk space, specific services, utilization, etc etc.
etc).

We have a Citrix server farm consisting of 6 virtualized Citrix servers, if
one of the Citrix servers is down Nagios will notify our individual Exchange
mailboxes it will not notify the on-call devices unless all the Citrix
servers are down.  We have complete dev and test environments that are set
to notify our individual Exchange mailboxes of any issues during normal
business hours only, on-call never gets notifications on those
environments.  Just to let you know some of what is possible with Nagios.
If there isn't a plug-in to do what you want in Nagios, ask in the Nagios
community forums, chances are, in a few months there will be.

There is a web-based management for Nagios called Nagios-QL, highly
recommend it.  Makes Nagios management/configuration essentially a windows
based application ;)

Yes, Nagios is a lot of work to setup and configure.  Once you've done that
though, it's pretty much hands-off.  We've been using Nagios for 5+ years
now.  At one point, before we got our nice new UPS and nice new AC unit for
the server room, we had Nagios configured to take some actions based on
events (power outage, temperature changes) that would start shutting down
servers in a 3 tiered list, non-essential like dev, test and redundant
systems first, then a more intrusive list, then finally all remaining
production systems.

Nagios can work too well sometimes also ;)  If you don't have your
notifications configured properly, you run the risk of becoming "inoculated"
to the notifications.  That is something to be aware of when setting up
Nagios.

 There’s not a Windows version of Nagios, however there are Windows plugins

--
Sherry Abercrombie

Arthur C. Clarke

<<image002.jpg>>