From: David Lum [mailto:david....@nwea.org]
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2010 11:54 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Server monitoring solution recommendations?

See...something taking a WEEK to set up is too damn long, unless by week you
mean a couple hours a day for a week. Host Monitor
(www.ks-soft.net<http://www.ks-soft.net>) has a nifty little replication
utility where you configure monitoring of one server (takes oh, an hour maybe
for first timers to get everything you'd want, although if just want ping/hdd,
etc you could go soup-to-nuts in 5 minutes), and then if you have a CSV of your
systems you can replicate that setup (say PING, HDD, services, specific event
log events, CPU, etc) to 400 servers in about 10 seconds, and it can handle
SNMP traps, as I'd guess most good monitoring apps can. I think Whats-Up and
other tools are similarly easy (or easier) to set up.

We use Groundworks/Nagios here, and I know each time we've changed the person
who manages administering it (add/changes tests, etc) they go through extended
PITA moments.

Hours of learning and retraining aren't free in my book,  I put ease-of-use
pretty high because it does affect the bottom line. Don't even get me started
on TripWire....

Dave