On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 8:55 AM Matthew Brett <matthew.br...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Only to say that:
>
> * I used to have a very firm preference for mail, because I'm pretty
> happy with Gmail as a mail interface, and I didn't want to have
> another channel I had to monitor, but
> * I've spent more time on Discourse over the last year, mainly on
> Jupyter, but I have also set up instances for my own projects.  I now
> have a fairly strong preference for Discourse, because of its very
> nice Markdown authoring, pleasant web interface for reviewing
> discussions and reasonable mailing list mode.

+1 Markdown support, the ability to edit/delete posts, a good web interface
and the possibility for new-comers to jump into an ongoing discussion are
all major advantages to Discourse.

I am not concerned about spam management or moderation. NumPy-Discussion is
not a very popular form, and we have plenty of mature contributors to help
moderate.

> * I have hardly used Github Discussions, so I can't comment on them.
> Are there large projects that are happy with them?   How does that
> compare to Discourse, for example?

GitHub Discussions is more of a Q&A platform, like Stackoverflow. I don't
think it really makes sense for free form discussion.

> * It will surely cause some harm if it is not clear where discussions
> happen, mainly (mailing list, Discourse, Github Discussions) so it
> seems to me better to decide on one standard place, and commit to
> that.

+1 let's pick a place and stick to it!