To add to that, while it is redundant to maintain both a mailing list and a
discourse, the latter requires significantly more moderation and policy (eg.
What happens if users delete posts / accounts).

It is a non trivial amount of work which I think should not be underestimated.
A lot of other communities I'm part of have made the shift, but it has been
undertaken to grow users, not to facilitate mailing list activities.

1. Nix discourse moderation team rfc - -> https://github.com/NixOS/rfcs/pull/102
2. Fortran Lang discourse moderation and coc - - >
https://fortran-lang.discourse.group/t/welcome-to-discourse/7

There are many others but in particular, even if we go for a discourse we
should still keep the mailing list for low volume, wide reach activity. At
which point we're back to the original problem of spam.

---
Rohit