On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 10:21 AM Ilhan Polat <ilhanpo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > GitHub Discussions is more of a Q&A platform, like Stackoverflow. I
> don't think it really makes sense for free form discussion.
>
>  I don't see how it is to be honest. I'm hearing this complaint quite
> often but I can't see how that is. That's quite not my experience.
> Especially in node.js repo and other participants of the discussions beta
> are quite happy with it.
>
> Maybe I should rephrase why I am mentining this; Very often, some thing is
> popping up in the issues asking for whether X is suitable for Sci/NumPy and
> we lead the user here and more often than not they don't follow up. I can't
> blame them because the whole mailing list experience especially for the
> newcomers is a dreadful experience and most of the time you don't get any
> feedback. Also you can't move because in the issue we told them to come
> here and nobody is interested, then things stop unless someone nudges the
> repo issue which was the idea in the first place. So in a way we are
> putting this barrier as in "go talk to the elders in the mountain and bring
> some shiny gems on your way back" which makes not much sense. We are using
> the issues and PRs anyways to discuss stuff  willingly or not so I can't
> say I follow the argument for the holistic mailing list format. This
> doesn't mean that I ignore the convenience because that was the case in the
> last decades. I'm totally fine with it. But if we are going to move it
> let's make it count not switch to an identical platform just for the sake
> of it. If not Github then something actually encourages the community to
> join and not getting in the way.

I agree, "go talk to the elders in the mountain" is not a great experience.

One of the other problems about mailing lists is that it's awkward or
impossible to ping old discussions. E.g., if you find a mailing list thread
discussing an issue from two years ago, you pretty much have to start a new
thread to discuss it.

I think GitHub discussions is a perfectly fine web-based platform and
definitely an improvement over a mailing list, but do like Discourse a
little better. It's literally one click for a user to sign up to post on
Discourse if they already have a GitHub account.