Hi,

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 1:54 AM Rohit Goswami <r95...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Although it is true that discourse is easier for newcomers in a lot of ways,
> it is far worse for governance and consensus. The mailing list, by having
> essentially sequential topics sent out to all subscribers is easier to keep
> track of than a large number of forum topics.

Thanks for this - but - could you say more about what you mean here?
In what way is the mailing list less of a problem in terms of
governance and consensus?  Is it just that - it is not easy to
withdraw a mailing list post?   I did have a quick look at the links
you sent - but they seemed to be instances where the community took
the opportunity to formalize a process that was already happening.

I don't agree about it being easier to keep track of topics on a
mailing list. Surely the opposite is true, and one of the main
motivations for Discourse?   I personally use the mailing list option
to read posts in the first instance, but I don't remember feeling the
need to know whether all subscribers have seen a particular post.  In
practice, mailing list mechanics mean that many people skip read their
mail and miss discussions.

Cheers,

Matthew