Dang.  See what happens when the list comes to life?

On 9/6/06, Exile In Paradise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Dear Open Game Gurus,
I would like to discuss a real-world issue I am
wrestling with.

Robert, you need one of three things: (1) A statement from the
copyright holder that your rules-only work is not infringing, (2) A
lawyer who will take a retainer to defend your new game as legally
distinct, or (3) an acceptance of possibly losing your house in a
lawsuit.

The OGL, like the GPL, can do nothing to help you do something with
someone else's work.  Freeciv could just have easily have been a
closed-source game, with regards to it actually being written.
Copylefft works great forward-going -- but it doesn't do anything the
other way.

As to your actual problem -- you'll find some on this list who say
it's entirelly legal (it is kind of), and others who say a game has a
distinct legally protectable character copyright  (it doesn't really
[all the time], but you'll need a lawyer to prove it.)

If you do decide to re-write this game you wish, I'd hope you will use
the OGL.  Unless you're writing for an established game that prohibits
it, there's no reason not to use the OGL.

DM