On 6 Sep 2006 at 21:29, Exile In Paradise wrote:

> Dear Open Game Gurus,
> I would like to discuss a real-world issue I am
> wrestling with.
>
> I am a collector and fan of a game system published
> from 1980-1994 by a publisher that is long since
> gone.

First and foremost, you need to retain the services of a lawyer who
specializes in copyright & trademark issues. You are quite likely going
to need one.

While game rules themselves are not copyrightable, tables are NOT
game rules. They may be a specific expression of a game rule, but
they are not rules themselves, and are thus copyrightable. Any
attempts to recreate those tables, or to create new tables that are
similar in look, feel, and use could be considered the creation of a
derivative work, and thus a copyright violation. It doesn't matter if you
are attempting to fix a "flaw" in the tables or not, the end result is going
to be what matters here.

TANSTAAFL
Rasyr (Tim Dugger)
 System Editor