Robert-

I guess I have two answers to your question:

1. Does the license allow you to recreate content like
that? Theoretically it does.

Presuming you are smart enough to not use trademarks,
etc, the sticking point for you is this:

"5.Representation of Authority to Contribute: If You
are contributing original material as Open Game
Content, You represent that Your Contributions are
Your original creation and/or You have sufficient
rights to grant the rights conveyed by this License."

The question is what does "original creation" mean?
Does this term have some additional meaning beyond the
creation required for "normal" copyright law?

Certainly, to some extent, this is not your original
creation. It is a willful duplication of existing
content that you would have no way to create and no
reason to create if the actual original content didnt
exist before yours.

I'm sure you understand the contrary argument.

2. Even if the license does allow it, should you do
it?

I say no. I wouldnt.

Maybe I am misreading your post, but I feel you are
trying to find some emotional justification for what
you are doing by stating that "newbies want the
content," "the content is hard to get," "it would just
be gotten illegally anyway," "the publisher has no
interest in the games."

It sounds like the real reason you want to do this is
that you are "tired of not being able to fully discuss
or republish parts of the games at whim." Well, you
dont own the content. The one with the right to have a
"whim" as to what to do with the material is the
content owner, which isnt you.

The bottom line is the owner has said no to using
licenses to release his content. So, presumably, he
wouldnt want you doing so.

I personally wouldnt hold up the OSRIC project as a
good example. I think there are big problems with it
and wouldnt touch it with a 10 ft (or, in OD&D terms,
a 10') pole.

I appreciate the legal question of the use of the
license. I think that is the most dangerous possible
use of the license. You are trying to use the license
to do soemthing it wasnt designed to do, IMHO.

Plus, as I have raised before, there is what you CAN
do and what you SHOULD do.

Clark