On 2/13/07, Keith Gable <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 2/13/07, Michael Kidder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Four
> > No, the license I was thinking of was either "none at all" or "MIT
> > license". I like open source but despise the GPL.
>
> I like the GPL. Then again, if I couldn't secure a way for people to
> either share their modifications or don't modify my programs at all, I
> wouldn't have open sourced it in the first place. I don't like the BSD
> license for this reason -- anyone can take my code, use it, change it,
> and screw me over. If I'm making an office suite, for example, all
> Microsoft has to do is steal my code, put their name on it, and sell
> it, and suddenly my work is now useless, because I now have to compete
> against myself. Yes, they've done similar things before.

I had an argument with a (linux-using) former colleague about this
once. I don't like copyleft licenses myself, since they are still
restrictive. My colleague claimed that MS had "stolen" the open source
BSD socket code, and that was why copyleft was good. My position was
that it had made MS's sockets work properly, which was, frankly, good
for everyone, and that was why copyleft was bad.

But anyway, none of that's really relevant, here.

Er, I think I've lost at least one layer of atribution, there, but hey.

The advantage of not unlumping is, well, not unlumping. The time saved
is the initial read-through of the rpg file and writing all the
smaller files. It would at least be spread out a little if we used
lazy unlumping, and only wrote files as we needed them, but at that
point the speed penalties might be occurring at a worse time. Is a big
pause at the start better than a small pause in the middle?

Simon