On 2/13/07, Michael Kidder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> For one:
>
> People have had no trouble porting GUI based .NET programs to Linux. See here:
> part 1
> http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2006/May-19.html
>
> part 2
> http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2006/Dec-16-1.html

This is for applications using Gtk#. That's fine. What about the other
98% of applications using Forms? The latest version of Mono draws its
own forms (it used to tell Wine to do it), which is fine.. except if
you want it to look like your native Gtk or Qt (that is, unless they
use Gtk to draw the forms). My point is that for the vast majority of
.NET apps, they're going to require porting of some kind. Porting that
is substantially hurt because of the lack of official support.
Ideally, you don't port at all -- it just works. Java Swing is like
this.

> Two
> Sorry, but I'd rather not use fake keys to register a program. Using
> Visual Studio Express is both free -and- legal.

They're not fake per se. They're valid mathematical mistakes. I
actually own VB6 through my school. I just prefer to use the all zeros
key for a couple reasons:
1) it works
2) it looks funny in the startup dialogs
3) it's rumored that the VB6 bytecompiler embeds a checksum of your
key in all EXEs built, so Microsoft can see if the EXE was built with
a pirated VB6 or not. Using this key allows you to give Microsoft the
finger.

> Three
> I have already tried to learn Ruby and Python and hated both of them.

Most people love them. For me, coming from the QB/VB6 background, I
absolutely hate VB.NET and what Microsoft did to the language. I like
C#, but the fact that if Mono didn't exist, there'd be no
cross-platform support irks me.

The main reason I suggested Python/Ruby is because they work
everywhere. And if you need native code, you can use it (in Ruby, you
can actually write the code inline in your .rb files).

> But I also don't lord my programming language of choice over other
> people, because I'm one of those weird platform-agnostic
> programminglanguage-agnostic persons that just use what works for me.
> VB6 programs are not going to run well or natively under Vista.

Nothing runs well under Vista. Vista doesn't run well under Vista.
Case in point? There's a memory water main busted somewhere. It's
bigger than a leak. If you use Vista for a few days, you've leaked
about a gig of memory. Using Beryl in Gentoo, I leak about 100-200MB
(I'm sitting at 500MB right now and I've been up for about a week). I
heard that this leak is a feature related to prefetching, but I don't
like it at all if it is.

Also, there has to be a way to use Avalon from non-managed C++.
Otherwise, Microsoft is going to piss off Adobe and everyone else that
has huge applications written in non-managed C++ or C. And if there is
a way, there's a way to do it from VB6. And if someone makes a VB6
designer for Avalon-related crap, the language will live on into the
next decade. Because it works on everything (in this case, it'd only
work on XP+Vista, unless the Avalon designer automagically converted
the forms to be VB6 forms if Avalon isn't found...).

> And
> I'd rather learn how to port to Mono than make someone run WINE just
> for a engine frontend. WINE is not very user friendly.

Well. It's getting there. Most people who want user-friendliness use
CrossOver though.

> Four
> No, the license I was thinking of was either "none at all" or "MIT
> license". I like open source but despise the GPL.

I like the GPL. Then again, if I couldn't secure a way for people to
either share their modifications or don't modify my programs at all, I
wouldn't have open sourced it in the first place. I don't like the BSD
license for this reason -- anyone can take my code, use it, change it,
and screw me over. If I'm making an office suite, for example, all
Microsoft has to do is steal my code, put their name on it, and sell
it, and suddenly my work is now useless, because I now have to compete
against myself. Yes, they've done similar things before.