On 2/12/07, Michael Kidder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> .NET doesn't suck. I'm suprised people would hate it, since it's
> fairly easy to port a .NET program to Mono and run it on Linux / OSX.
> An example of a great .NET program is Paint.NET (
> http://www.getpaint.net ) which is being ported to Linux/Mono by
> someone.

Oh, I totally agree. VB.Net is awesome, and I've got a couple projects
in the werkz written in it (nothing OHR, but still.)

> Of note, any programming language or program I tried to load the DLL
> in didn't like it; Game Maker (which is written in Delphi) gave the
> vague error of "Error Loading DLL". The exact error from Visual Basic
> .NET was "no such entry point" for the function I tried to load with
> the following code:
>
> Declare Sub unlump Lib "unlumpdll" (ByRef lump$, ByRef ulpath$)

That would be be because the entry point isn't really "unlump". The
most likely entry point is "[EMAIL PROTECTED]". Try changing the declare to:

Declare Sub unlump Alias "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" Lib "unlumpdll" (ByRef lump$,
ByRef ulpath$)

Alias might need to go after Lib, my VB6 is rusty.

> There's also an awesome reason: Visual Basic 6 costs money. Visual
> Basic 2005 is free and available from MS at
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/ , so I'll die of old age
> before I ever attempt to get VB6.

VB6 has it's uses. It runs on older platforms, and is actually faster
than VB.Net (it runs in native code, rather than being run under the
Common Language Runtime). However, what you say is still true. That
said, I managed to acquire Visual Stuidio 2005 from a friends office,
so I can't really complain much.

> Either way, a DLL with general functions would be great since everyone
> making external programs to the OHR wouldn't have to re-invent the
> wheel every single time, and is a lot more flexible for people that
> don't want to be forced to use the GPL by copying the unlump code from
> the source.

Maybe I'll throw something together on the weekend. I'll see.

--
Mike Caron
Final Fantasy Q