.NET doesn't suck. I'm suprised people would hate it, since it's
fairly easy to port a .NET program to Mono and run it on Linux / OSX.
An example of a great .NET program is Paint.NET (
http://www.getpaint.net ) which is being ported to Linux/Mono by
someone.

Of note, any programming language or program I tried to load the DLL
in didn't like it; Game Maker (which is written in Delphi) gave the
vague error of "Error Loading DLL". The exact error from Visual Basic
.NET was "no such entry point" for the function I tried to load with
the following code:

Declare Sub unlump Lib "unlumpdll" (ByRef lump$, ByRef ulpath$)

There's also an awesome reason: Visual Basic 6 costs money. Visual
Basic 2005 is free and available from MS at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/ , so I'll die of old age
before I ever attempt to get VB6.

Either way, a DLL with general functions would be great since everyone
making external programs to the OHR wouldn't have to re-invent the
wheel every single time, and is a lot more flexible for people that
don't want to be forced to use the GPL by copying the unlump code from
the source.