On 8/24/07, James Paige <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Howdy, all! Uberetzung is getting close enough that it is time to start
> thinking about packaging.
>
> Previously, stable releases for windows were made of thee files

Since there is more than one, the correct grammar is "ye files." (No
one respects Old English anymore.)

>   ohrrpgce-win-installer.exe
>   ohrrpgce.zip (AKA custom.zip)
>   ohrrpgce_play.zip
>
> the contents of the installer and the zip were about the same.
> ohrrpgce_play.zip was the minimal version with just game.exe and some
> text files.
>
> Here is what I envision for Ubersetzung and future releases:
>
>   ohrrpgce-win-installer.exe

Am I the only one who prefers zips to installers?

> This would be the biggest file. It would include game and custom and all
> support files, as well as the "import" subdirectory with some sample
> songs and sfx and fonts, and a copy of Vikings of Midgard (hopefully,
> if Fenrir is ready)

Are you going to stop packaging BAMs in import? You should.

> I would expect this file to be fairly big. Probably bigger than 5 mb,
> but less than 10 mb.
>
> Then we would have:
>
>   ohrrpgce.zip
>
> The minimalist distribution. It would just have game and custom and the
> stuff you need to run them. included Readme files would direct you where
> to download the sample music and sounds, and where do download Vikings
> of Midgard (and other games). I am not sure whether madplay+oggenc
> should be separate or included.

This pleases me.

> This would probably be close to the same size it was for the
> Hasta-la-qb+ release, since the loss of game-qb and customqb will
> approximately make up for the new dll files.
>
> Then:
>
>   ohrrpgce_play.zip
>
> Should probably go away. (or redirect to ohrrpgce.zip)
>
> Beyond those, I can see pros and cons to having other packaging. Are
> people going to want a minimalist windows installer?

Doubtful. Minimalists don't want an installer.

> Are people going to
> want a full zip file including Vikings and all the import media? Does
> the benefit of extra choices outweigh the confusion of "which one do I
> donwload?" for new users?

Good point -- maybe the full file, installer and imports and all, can
be called "OHRRPGCE Game Development Kit" or something along those
lines to disambiguate. I still want my no-installer zip.