On 8/24/07, Adam Perry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 8/24/07, James Paige <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Howdy, all! Uberetzung is getting close enough that it is time to start
> > thinking about packaging.
> >
> > Previously, stable releases for windows were made of thee files
>
> Since there is more than one, the correct grammar is "ye files." (No
> one respects Old English anymore.)
>
> >   ohrrpgce-win-installer.exe
> >   ohrrpgce.zip (AKA custom.zip)
> >   ohrrpgce_play.zip
> >
> > the contents of the installer and the zip were about the same.
> > ohrrpgce_play.zip was the minimal version with just game.exe and some
> > text files.
> >
> > Here is what I envision for Ubersetzung and future releases:
> >
> >   ohrrpgce-win-installer.exe
>
> Am I the only one who prefers zips to installers?

Nope, I do as well. >.>

> This would be the biggest file. It would include game and custom and all
> > support files, as well as the "import" subdirectory with some sample
> > songs and sfx and fonts, and a copy of Vikings of Midgard (hopefully,
> > if Fenrir is ready)
>
> Are you going to stop packaging BAMs in import? You should.
>
> > I would expect this file to be fairly big. Probably bigger than 5 mb,
> > but less than 10 mb.
> >
> > Then we would have:
> >
> >   ohrrpgce.zip
> >
> > The minimalist distribution. It would just have game and custom and the
> > stuff you need to run them. included Readme files would direct you where
> > to download the sample music and sounds, and where do download Vikings
> > of Midgard (and other games). I am not sure whether madplay+oggenc
> > should be separate or included.
>
> This pleases me.
>
> > This would probably be close to the same size it was for the
> > Hasta-la-qb+ release, since the loss of game-qb and customqb will
> > approximately make up for the new dll files.
> >
> > Then:
> >
> >   ohrrpgce_play.zip
> >
> > Should probably go away. (or redirect to ohrrpgce.zip)
> >
> > Beyond those, I can see pros and cons to having other packaging. Are
> > people going to want a minimalist windows installer?
>
> Doubtful. Minimalists don't want an installer.
>
> > Are people going to
> > want a full zip file including Vikings and all the import media? Does
> > the benefit of extra choices outweigh the confusion of "which one do I
> > donwload?" for new users?
>
> Good point -- maybe the full file, installer and imports and all, can
> be called "OHRRPGCE Game Development Kit" or something along those
> lines to disambiguate. I still want my no-installer zip.

Same here. I just like being able to extract everything to whatever
directory, et VOILĂ€! It's ready to be used. Unlike with installer things
where I have to go delete registry entries because I'm not gonna be
uninstalling the program, and extraneous shortcuts off of the Start Menu's
Programs section because I never use the bloody menu. XD