On Jul 12, 2011, at 5:42 PM, Raphael Bircher wrote:

> Am 13.07.11 01:47, schrieb Jomar Silva:
>>
>> On 2011/6/12 19:38 Pedro Giffuni<giffu...@tutopia.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> While this is understandable, it is not good enough. We will have to
>>> find an
>>> alternative repository and link to it from Apache's website. This is
>>> something
>>> that can wait though.
>> Can you please explain the 'not good enough' and also propose an alternative
>> solution ?
> You removed the answare. The fact that only Open Source extension are alowed
> is not ideal. Everyone at OOo knows the storry about this topic. The wish to
> have only Open Source extensions come from the FSF. This wish was refused by
> the CC of OpenOffice.org with good reasons. I don't think, this reasons go
> away only because we move to the ASF.
>
> A Extension Repository with only Open Source Extension makes maybe the FSF
> happy, but do not cover our need. So this is one more time more a ideological
> question.

+1 - We should attempt to have the most complete and agnostic registry of all
extensions and the most open collection of templates possible.

I've asked the contact that I made last night at OSUOSL for two things.

(1) Some statistics about the server.

(2) Contacts at Sun/Oracle who were working on the performance issues - which
involve scale.

With data we have a better idea of what infrastructure is required.

I think we need to find out from Legal if the ASF actually has an issue with
hosting differently licensed software on a machine that is not on the internet
at *.apache.org, but on *.openoffice.org.

Regards,
Dave