On Jul 12, 2011, at 5:43 PM, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:37 PM, Rob Weir <rabas...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> As it happens I'd already started exploring this one with the Document
>>> Foundation Steering Committee, and Jomar Silva raised it on the
>> TDF-Discuss
>>> list. TDF are just about to launch a full version of their extensions &
>>> templates system and they would be perfectly happy for AOOo to redirect
>> the
>>> URL that OpenOffice.org is using to access the repository so that it uses
>>> the system TDF are hosting for LibreOffice.
>>
>> Is the intent to host all of the extensions currently at the OOo site?
>> Or a subset?  Or a different set?
>>

> They host only extensions that have open source licenses, so the ones at the
> OOo site that have proprietary licenses are not hosted.

I'd like to have a central catalog of all extensions, commercial as
well as open source.  Not necessarily hosting them, but having the
basic metadata with links to whatever site hosts them. If we have
something like this then we can escape the need for having a singe
host site that gates user visibility of extensions based on eclectic
things like license considerations.   You could even have multiple
such catalogs. Maybe some which curate only GPL extensions for
example.

To do something like the above would require agreeing on a metadata
description file for extension authors.

I think this is complementary to TDF's interest in hosting open source
extensions.