On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 9:57 AM, drew <d...@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 15:31 +0200, Reizinger Zoltán wrote:
>> 2011.08.14. 15:07 keltezéssel, Rob Weir írta:
>> >>
>> > Do we know what the underlying issue is?  Is it load related?
>> I don't know, may be not enough resources to do administration.
>
> I don't know specifics either, but there has been talk on the lists of
> it needing an upgrade to address scaling issues.
>
> You have to assume it is a lack of human resources, I know that they
> lost non-Sun/oracle employee admin support way back, so I don't know
> what the status of the current admin is ( I'm not even sure if it is
> only one person ).
>
> Maybe it is resources at the host that are lacking - but either way I
> think the PPMC has to take responsibility for keeping the site up,
> bottom line at this point.
>
> If it is not possible to get a stable stie up in a reasonable timeframe
> then maybe, yes, another outlet for the items submitted to the site
> needs to be found, up to and including transferring the artifacts to
> another provider such as the new LibreOffice repository IMO. The PPMC is
> not just responsible for that site now, but for the contributions from
> the many people that donated artifacts there and the current suer base
> that make use of them.
>
> I am strongly, very strongly, in favor of the PPMC finding a solution,
> in situ, however.

IIRC, these extensions are 3rd party, under a variety of licenses,
including some that are not open source.  Is that correct?

If so, I'm not sure that we can be hosting the extensions as an
official part of the AOOo project.  But the purpose of Apache-Extras
is to support extensions to Apache projects that are not Apache 2.0
licensed.

Another option, which I brought up the last time this topic was
discussed on the list, is that we maintain a catalog of extensions,
but don't maintain the storage of the extensions themselves.  So a
distributed approach where we own the directory.

There are several free forges where extension authors can maintain
their extensions, as well as the not-too-difficult option of
self-hosting.

>From the end-user perspective, they should not notice a big
difference.  They browse a list of extensions, click 'download' and
they get the extension.  But the extension would be served by an
external site, the responsibility of the extension author.

For this to work we'd need some way for extension authors to submit
their extension descriptions and metadata.  Maybe a simple XML format,
or a web form that generates that XML.  Then you need a program to gen
the website from the XML.  Xalan XSLT could be used for this, for
example.

What do you think of a distributed approach like this?