Jürgen,

On Oct 15, 2011, at 4:05 PM, Daniel Shahaf wrote:

> Jürgen Schmidt wrote on Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 00:04:59 +0200:
>> I don't wanted to be arrogant or presumptuous but i really don't care here
>> about other projects.
>
> Infra won't install your stuff without considering the effect on the 100
> or so other ASF projects too.

One of the advantages that Oracle provided was support for a lot of
infrastructure. This included enough sysadmin support. We've seen what happens
now that those "resources" are elsewhere. The difference at the ASF is one of
bootstrapping. Apache Infrastructure is a team of volunteers and they can only
support so much.

When a new set of "necessary" infrastructure like MediaWiki or OpenGrok is
requested it becomes the requesting project's responsibility to provide enough
volunteers to convince Apache Infrastructure that they won't be stuck with an
operational or security problem.

I'm not sure if this particular "no" from Apache Infrastructure is more a
blanket no due to issues like adding load on the SVN repos, or is more another
project request that the project can't support.

As a project we are only now getting a handle on sysadmin of the migrated BZ
instance. MediaWiki and Fora are about ready and Infra is supportive even with
a bare minimum of support from AOOo. I don't think we have enough clear
volunteers for the MW and the User Forums, but we are close.

Regards,
Dave