On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:
> +1
>
> I agree.  It looks like doing a reset and then rebuilding this structure in a
> way that is appropriate for Apache OpenOffice is the best way forward.

+1

Right now we have no guarantees that these distributors are actually
distributing current versions of OpenOffice, older versions with
security issues, or even modified versions of OpenOffice with adware
inserted.  We see things like this happening all over the web today.
So I'd be very careful on how we associate the project with
initiatives like this.  It is one thing if a PMC member or someone
known to us wants to distribute CD's at a conference.  It is another
thing for us to put up free advertising for unknown parties to sell
what may or may not be real copies of OpenOffice.

What we could do to protect our users is something like this:

-- Define a new logo, perhaps based on the project logo, for CD distributors

-- Put the logo up on a webpage page and allow anyone to use the logo,
but only if it is used on a CD containing a release of OpenOffice and
nothing but OpenOffice.