On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:
> > +1
> >
> > I agree.  It looks like doing a reset and then rebuilding this structure
> in a way that is appropriate for Apache OpenOffice is the best way forward.
> >

> +1
>
> Right now we have no guarantees that these distributors are actually
> distributing current versions of OpenOffice, older versions with
> security issues, or even modified versions of OpenOffice with adware
> inserted.  We see things like this happening all over the web today.
> So I'd be very careful on how we associate the project with
> initiatives like this.  It is one thing if a PMC member or someone
> known to us wants to distribute CD's at a conference.  It is another
> thing for us to put up free advertising for unknown parties to sell
> what may or may not be real copies of OpenOffice.
>
> What we could do to protect our users is something like this:
>
> -- Define a new logo, perhaps based on the project logo, for CD
> distributors
>
> -- Put the logo up on a webpage page and allow anyone to use the logo,
> but only if it is used on a CD containing a release of OpenOffice and
> nothing but OpenOffice.

Well there is a rather prominent disclaimer on the page --

 *Note: OpenOffice.org makes no claims about the contents of any CD-ROM you
may purchase from a distributor listed here. We list these only as a
courtesy to the community. Should you find old or invalid links, please
report them to the page maintainer: Alex Fisher <cd...@openoffice.org>

We should probably make a minor change on this for now and replace
OpenOffice.org with Apache OpenOffice , remove Alex, and point them to
ooo-dev? As I'm making final adjustments to things I am finding many such
items.
*

> > This will disadvantage some NL groups who have been maintaining the
> information for their region, though.  So it needs to be a brief disruption.
> >
> > Andrea Pescetti has done some work on the page today.  I suggest
> consulting with him on a clean way forward.
> >
> >  - Dennis

MzK

 Helping you out."
                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette