On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Pedro Giffuni <p...@apache.org> wrote:

> Ugh ...
>
> --- Ven 1/6/12, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> ha scritto:
>

>> No release is buildable on its own.  You need an
>> operating system, a compiler, often other pre-existing
>> libraries on the system, other prerequisites that need
>> to be installed by the developers.
>>

> And computers need electricity, which is not free and
> not available under a compatible license. I wish you
> could keep focused or at least do an effort to
> understand the issues so we can solve them.

Be nice.

> The tarball release must be consistent; we cannot hide
> tarballs in SVN. Creating a directory with the Category-A
> tarballs that form a base of the release along with the
> base distribution is not really a problem. Some of them
> are not available upstream anymore.

That is one possible technique.  But not the only one.  I'm a
committer on another Apache project, the ODF Toolkit, and we do not
include any of the dependencies in our release, not even other
category-a ones.  All of them are downloaded on the fly from a central
repository.  That is the beauty of Maven.

There are advantages of disadvantages of each approach.  But we can't
reject one approach outright with a policy argument.  Both methods are
in use at Apache today.

-rob