Am 08/19/2012 05:08 AM, schrieb Pedro Giffuni:
Hi Marcus;

I am OK with people asking for help but I don't appreciate getting spammed
If you could please obfuscate my email address it would be better.

sorry, of course. I hope the new way is better. Otherwise just tell me and suggest a better form.

Marcus

----- Original Message -----
From: Marcus (OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: rbirc...@apache.org
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2012 5:58 PM
Subject: Re: What to say in AOO 3.4.1 release announcement about the ports?
(BSD, Solaris, OS/2)?

Am 08/18/2012 11:55 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:

  On 08/18/2012 09:53 AM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
  Am 08/18/2012 06:34 PM, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
  Am 08/18/2012 04:38 PM, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
  Am 08/18/2012 04:19 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
  On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Marcus
(OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
  wrote:
  Am 08/18/2012 02:48 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

  On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 3:36 AM, Marcus
(OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
  wrote:

  Am 08/18/2012 06:38 AM, schrieb Keith N.
McKenna:

  Marcus (OOo) wrote:

  Am 08/02/2012 02:12 AM, schrieb Rob
Weir:

  On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM,
drew<d...@baseanswers.com>
  wrote:

  On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 18:28
-0400, Rob Weir wrote:

  On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at
12:24 PM, drew

jensen<drewjensen.in...@gmail.com>  wrote:

  On Wed, 2012-08-01 at
09:09 -0700, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

  Hi Kay;

  I did some basic
update to the FreeBSD porting site sometime
  ago:

http://www.openoffice.org/porting/freebsd/

  The site
doesn't seem linked from the top-level porting site
  though.

  I would prefer to
spend my time on the code rather than on
  the
  release
  announcement,
however feel free to mention explicitly the
  FreeBSD
  port.
  Just to make it
clear: we still have some cleanup to do but
  the
  port is
  fully operational
and FreeBSD users are fully aware that
  it's
  available
  on FreeBSD
releases.

  Pedro.

  Hi Pedro,

  Then for BSD it should
be enough to just point to the page
  you
  updated,
  yes?

  IMHO, we should consolidate
all the porting links onto that
  one
  page.
  That way it gives one clear
place to link to in the
  announcement,
  but
  also a single place we can
link to from other places in the
  future.
  For example, we should
probably eventually have a link to the
  porting
  page from the download
page.

  -Rob

  hmmm - well, I'm just
getting around to looking at things for
  this
  evening.

  Looking at the page(s) now...
*chuckling*..

  This might not be the right
place for what I thought was the
  task - a
  list of existing known ports
which are not part of the official
  AOO
  release regiment.

  The porting page and it's
associated pages seem more about the
  act of
  creating a port, with

http://www.openoffice.org/porting/porting_overview.html

  and

http://www.openoffice.org/porting/porting_implement.html

  which starts off by pointing to
this page:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Porting_Efforts

  and that offers links to places
such as

http://www.openoffice.org/udk/cpp/man/cpp_bridges.html

  So do we really want a page for
listing existing non-official
  ports
  that
  are known, a simple information
service for our users without
  and
  explicitly stating such,
endorsing the work - or do we want a
  resource
  for those wanting to perform a
port to a new platform - for the
  announcement(s) that is.

  Yes. ;-)

  Maybe the existing porting page
remains as a developer-focused
  page?
  It needs to be updated, of course,
but maybe not as urgent.

  Then we also need a user-facing
page about existing ports. Maybe
  that
  could be a new page in the
/download directory?

  There is already a page which points to
3rd party software /
  packages:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/non_ASF.html

  Kay has created this to compensate the
old distribution webpage
  which
  was totally outdated.

  So, what about to extend this new page
with a "Ports" section
  from
  FreeBSD, Solaris, OS/2 and others?

  For the announcement the
user-facing one would be the most
  appropriate, yes?

  I think so.

  Marcus

  Morning All;

  Just checking in on this thread to see if
there has been any
  consensus
  on how we should do this or if we should.
As we are fast
  approaching
  release of 3.4.1 I would like to get this
into the Release Notes.

  As a stated bore I believe that it is
important to get the
  information
  out that these operating systems are not
forgotten and that Apache
  OpenOffice is available.

  As I haven't seen any different let's
add these OSs with a
  statement to
  the
  "non_ASF.html" webpage.

  The announcement current links to:
  http://www.openoffice.org/porting/

  Is that the wrong place? That URL is the top
listing if someone
  searches Google for "openoffice ports.

  Maybe not wrong but IMHO totally oudated since months
and years and
  needs
  also a clean-up. ;-)

  IMHO, It is almost always better to clean up (or replace)
an existing
  page at a well-known URL than to create an entirely new
page at a new
  URL. Why? Because the existing page is already linked to,
both
  internally and externally. So if we think the new content
is relevant
  to the purpose of the old webpage, e.g., information on
ports, then we
  should keep the old URL for it.

  Sure.

  Maybe we can make a deal, so that everybody has a little task:

  - I'll clean-up the porting homepage (at least the starting
page)
  - Drew is adding text for the ports to the other webpage
  - I'll add this text also to the porting homepage
  - and you just need to keep the link in the announcement ;-)

  I've updated the starting webpage at
  "http://www.openoffice.org/porting/index.html":

  Ahm, it's still in the stageing area:
  http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/porting/index.html

  Marcus

  @Maho,Pedro,Yuri,Nicolas:

  Like stated with the other ports I would like to list your name and
mail
  address (if available, the Apache addresses):

  - OpenSolaris by Adfinis SyGroup AG (Nicolas Christener)
  - Solaris (Sparc and x86) by Adfinis SyGroup AG (Nicolas
Christener)
  - FreeBSD by Pedro Giffuni / Maho Nakata
  - OS/2 by Yuri Dario

  Is this OK for you?

  Thanks

  Marcus

  Marcus, on this last part...should Raphael Bircher be added for the
  Solaris ports as well? But, we need to hear from both of them.

  Nice job on this update by the way.

Hm, I don't know how much he is involved with the port.

@Raphael:
What do you think?

Marcus