On 08/18/2012 09:53 AM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
Am 08/18/2012 06:34 PM, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
Am 08/18/2012 04:38 PM, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
Am 08/18/2012 04:19 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
wrote:
Am 08/18/2012 02:48 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 3:36 AM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
wrote:

Am 08/18/2012 06:38 AM, schrieb Keith N. McKenna:

Marcus (OOo) wrote:

Am 08/02/2012 02:12 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM, drew<d...@baseanswers.com> wrote:

On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 18:28 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM, drew
jensen<drewjensen.in...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 09:09 -0700, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

Hi Kay;

I did some basic update to the FreeBSD porting site sometime
ago:

http://www.openoffice.org/porting/freebsd/

The site doesn't seem linked from the top-level porting site
though.

I would prefer to spend my time on the code rather than on
the
release
announcement, however feel free to mention explicitly the
FreeBSD
port.
Just to make it clear: we still have some cleanup to do but
the
port is
fully operational and FreeBSD users are fully aware that it's
available
on FreeBSD releases.

Pedro.

Hi Pedro,

Then for BSD it should be enough to just point to the page you
updated,
yes?

IMHO, we should consolidate all the porting links onto that one
page.
That way it gives one clear place to link to in the
announcement,
but
also a single place we can link to from other places in the
future.
For example, we should probably eventually have a link to the
porting
page from the download page.

-Rob

hmmm - well, I'm just getting around to looking at things for
this
evening.

Looking at the page(s) now... *chuckling*..

This might not be the right place for what I thought was the
task - a
list of existing known ports which are not part of the official
AOO
release regiment.

The porting page and it's associated pages seem more about the
act of
creating a port, with

http://www.openoffice.org/porting/porting_overview.html

and
http://www.openoffice.org/porting/porting_implement.html

which starts off by pointing to this page:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Porting_Efforts

and that offers links to places such as
http://www.openoffice.org/udk/cpp/man/cpp_bridges.html

So do we really want a page for listing existing non-official
ports
that
are known, a simple information service for our users without
and
explicitly stating such, endorsing the work - or do we want a
resource
for those wanting to perform a port to a new platform - for the
announcement(s) that is.

Yes. ;-)

Maybe the existing porting page remains as a developer-focused
page?
It needs to be updated, of course, but maybe not as urgent.

Then we also need a user-facing page about existing ports. Maybe
that
could be a new page in the /download directory?

There is already a page which points to 3rd party software /
packages:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/non_ASF.html

Kay has created this to compensate the old distribution webpage
which
was totally outdated.

So, what about to extend this new page with a "Ports" section from
FreeBSD, Solaris, OS/2 and others?

For the announcement the user-facing one would be the most
appropriate, yes?

I think so.

Marcus

Morning All;

Just checking in on this thread to see if there has been any
consensus
on how we should do this or if we should. As we are fast
approaching
release of 3.4.1 I would like to get this into the Release Notes.

As a stated bore I believe that it is important to get the
information
out that these operating systems are not forgotten and that Apache
OpenOffice is available.

As I haven't seen any different let's add these OSs with a
statement to
the
"non_ASF.html" webpage.

The announcement current links to: http://www.openoffice.org/porting/

Is that the wrong place? That URL is the top listing if someone
searches Google for "openoffice ports.

Maybe not wrong but IMHO totally oudated since months and years and
needs
also a clean-up. ;-)

IMHO, It is almost always better to clean up (or replace) an existing
page at a well-known URL than to create an entirely new page at a new
URL. Why? Because the existing page is already linked to, both
internally and externally. So if we think the new content is relevant
to the purpose of the old webpage, e.g., information on ports, then we
should keep the old URL for it.

Sure.

Maybe we can make a deal, so that everybody has a little task:

- I'll clean-up the porting homepage (at least the starting page)
- Drew is adding text for the ports to the other webpage
- I'll add this text also to the porting homepage
- and you just need to keep the link in the announcement ;-)

I've updated the starting webpage at
"http://www.openoffice.org/porting/index.html":

Ahm, it's still in the stageing area:
http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/porting/index.html

Marcus

@Maho,Pedro,Yuri,Nicolas:

Like stated with the other ports I would like to list your name and mail
address (if available, the Apache addresses):

- OpenSolaris by Adfinis SyGroup AG (Nicolas Christener)
- Solaris (Sparc and x86) by Adfinis SyGroup AG (Nicolas Christener)
- FreeBSD by Pedro Giffuni / Maho Nakata
- OS/2 by Yuri Dario

Is this OK for you?

Thanks

Marcus

Marcus, on this last part...should Raphael Bircher be added for the Solaris ports as well? But, we need to hear from both of them.

Nice job on this update by the way.

MzK

"Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think."
                                   -- Niels Bohr