On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM, RGB ES <rgb.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/8/23 Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>:
>> Way back in late April, Juergen proposed a new directory structure for
>> release packs than what we have now which is essentially:
>>
>> /stable/VERSION/<en-US items>
>> /localized/<lang abbreviation>/VERSION/<lang items>
>>
>> there are some other areas in SF as well and I don't know if they're still
>> being used
>>
>> Could we restart the discussion, or just again send the proposed structure,
>> on what the "ideal" structure would look like so we could get to work on
>> modifying the download scripts? Thanks.
>>

>> --
>> MzK
>>
>> "As a child my family's menu consisted of two choices:
>>     take it or leave it. "
>>                                    -- Buddy Hackett
>
> Warning: Layman comment following.
>
> Even if en-US is the base for all the other builds, I see no need to
> completely separate it from the rest. IMO, a structure like
>
> /stable/VERSION/<lang abbreviation>/etcetera
>
> were <lang abbreviation> includes en-US at the same level of all the
> other localizations would be perfectly clear to anyone.

+1

This weird split complicates scripting operations on the tree.

We could probably also eliminate the base of "/stable".  We don't
release unstable code, do we?

At a level higher we have another split, between source and binaries,
where binaries are in "/files" and source is in VERSION.

So:

/ooo/3.4.1/source here
/ooo/files/stable/de/3.4.1/binaries here

This might  be harmonized as:

/ooo/VERSION/src
/ooo/VERSION/bin/LANG/
/ooo/VERSION/bin/SDK