On 23 August 2012 21:14, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.m...@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 08/23/2012 10:02 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

>>> Warning: Layman comment following.
>>>
>>> Even if en-US is the base for all the other builds, I see no need to
>>> completely separate it from the rest. IMO, a structure like
>>>
>>> /stable/VERSION/<lang abbreviation>/etcetera
>>>
>>> were<lang abbreviation>  includes en-US at the same level of all the
>>> other localizations would be perfectly clear to anyone.
>>>

>> +1
>>
>> This weird split complicates scripting operations on the tree.
>>
>> We could probably also eliminate the base of "/stable".  We don't
>> release unstable code, do we?
>

> I don't know if it's wanted by us or allowed by ASF:
>
> We could release Beta versions or RCs in a different dir than stable/.
>
> Then it would make sense to keep it. Otherwise you are right.
>

>> At a level higher we have another split, between source and binaries,
>> where binaries are in "/files" and source is in VERSION.
>>
>> So:
>>
>> /ooo/3.4.1/source here
>> /ooo/files/stable/de/3.4.1/binaries here
>>
>> This might  be harmonized as:
>>
>> /ooo/VERSION/src
>> /ooo/VERSION/bin/LANG/
>> /ooo/VERSION/bin/SDK
>

> Or just
>
> /ooo/VERSION/
>
> to get the most flat structure.
>
> Maybe
>
> /ooo/VERSION/src/
> /ooo/VERSION/bin/
>
> if it's needed to separate source and binary files.

Having a top-level version dir works well with svnpubsub.

The staging directory is at
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/
and the release (live) dirs are at
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/

This makes it particularly easy in to rename dev/version/ to
release/version/ once a release vote passes, as there is a containing
folder for everything.

Other arrangements are possible, but are harder to promote from dev/ to release/

As to non-GA builds, several other TLPs release -ALPHA and -BETA
versions; if such suffices are included in the folder and artifact
version names it makes the status obvious.