On 08/23/2012 01:14 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
Am 08/23/2012 10:02 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM, RGB ES<rgb.m...@gmail.com>  wrote:
2012/8/23 Kay Schenk<kay.sch...@gmail.com>:
Way back in late April, Juergen proposed a new directory structure for
release packs than what we have now which is essentially:

/stable/VERSION/<en-US items>
/localized/<lang abbreviation>/VERSION/<lang items>

there are some other areas in SF as well and I don't know if they're
still
being used

Could we restart the discussion, or just again send the proposed
structure,
on what the "ideal" structure would look like so we could get to
work on
modifying the download scripts? Thanks.

MzK

"As a child my family's menu consisted of two choices:
     take it or leave it. "
                                    -- Buddy Hackett

Warning: Layman comment following.

Even if en-US is the base for all the other builds, I see no need to
completely separate it from the rest. IMO, a structure like

/stable/VERSION/<lang abbreviation>/etcetera

were<lang abbreviation>  includes en-US at the same level of all the
other localizations would be perfectly clear to anyone.

+1

This weird split complicates scripting operations on the tree.

We could probably also eliminate the base of "/stable".  We don't
release unstable code, do we?

correct, and I think the schema that RGB currently proposes without the "/stable" is what Juergen basically proposed if memory serves.
(I'm too lazy to go look for it. :/ )

I don't know if it's wanted by us or allowed by ASF:

We could release Beta versions or RCs in a different dir than stable/.

Then it would make sense to keep it. Otherwise you are right.

Right now, since we are not releasing "betas" and I don't see this happening in the future given the ASF definition of "release", we have no need for a "/stable" vs anything else.

At a level higher we have another split, between source and binaries,
where binaries are in "/files" and source is in VERSION.

So:

/ooo/3.4.1/source here
/ooo/files/stable/de/3.4.1/binaries here

This might  be harmonized as:

/ooo/VERSION/src
/ooo/VERSION/bin/LANG/
/ooo/VERSION/bin/SDK

yes. Hopefully Juergen will weigh in soonish.

Or just

/ooo/VERSION/

to get the most flat structure.

Maybe

/ooo/VERSION/src/
/ooo/VERSION/bin/

if it's needed to separate source and binary files.

Marcus