I vote with trying to go with libtool. Of course that is assuming that I have a
vote :) I realize that getting things to work "the libtool way" may not be easy
at first, but once you get it going, the routine maintainance on various
platforms is reduced. I started off trying to tweak Makefiles by hand for
various platforms, moved on to Imake, which was never really sucessfull since
most installations never had working Imake installations. From there I moved
into autoconf/automake, which was great for making programs, but when it came
to shared libraries was still a nightmare. If you can live with libtools rules,
you open up a whole slew of platforms that you could never test for yourself.
If the libtool folks know anything, they know how to make a library on more
platforms than the average person........

Anyway, enough of this, I have a tarball to roll, and I still may have to
justify why I broke a code freeze to get David's "conveince" translations
working..... So much to do, so little time........