David,
If you allow me a 3 weeks time I would put libtools scripts
which would work on Unices and Windows both.  The main problem
I notice with libtools, the way it is implimented in LessTif, NetCDF,
and ImgeMagic, is that libtools tries to create *.so files
also on Windows.  On Windows a DLL is always an executable
and can never have an internally defined symbols.  All symbols must be
exported from DLL.  The *.lib or *.a works only as a place holder.

If you try to build NetCDF or Lesstif on Windows using --enable-shared=yes,
libtools will barf at you, "undefined symbols are not supported at the
plateform
i686-cygwin32" and will create rubish libxxx.a and libxxx.la.
A while ago I rewrote the configure scripts for LessTif for Cygwin so
creates
DLLs on Windows and *.so on Linux.  I never got a chance to send them to
Rick, then in a disk crash I lost the copy.

The point is if you simply adopted libtools using conventional Unices
styles, you would
break the libraries for Windows.

Suhaib