Heather,

As usual, I think the requirements and likely constraints on how the data is
acquired might largely dictate things.

Patient death status is often recorded in hospital Patient Administration
Systems (PASs). In this context, it is also often propagated to other systems
via HL7 V2 ADT messages.
HL7  v2 has a place to record this, and a timestamp for death if relevant, in
the patient demographics PID segment. The status field PID-30 is Patient Death
Indicator and can only take the values ‘Y’ or ’N’.
However, in practice, all bets are off as to how this field is populated. Some
hospitals record additional values in their PAS and so must somehow decide how
to transmit these in HL7.
Some systems abuse the HL7 standard by using different values in PID-30 e.g.
‘A’ for “alive"; ‘U’ for “dead", but unconfirmed”, 'D' for "dead".
Many systems don’t populate the field at all. Some populate the field only when
the patient’s death has been recorded in the PAS. Some systems have the meaning
of ‘Y’ and ’N’ reversed, i.e. ‘Y’ denotes alive.
Many PAS outbound HL7 feeds support additional data in non-standard, user
defined Z segments. It is quite common for the patient’s death status to be
transmitted in a dedicated additional patient demographics segment ( other than
HL7’s PD1 segment ), thus allowing for various forms of dead to be conveyed
without breaching HL7 standards.
In the above cases, the property of alive vs dead is very much in the camp of
HL7 person demographics - i.e. a property of the person rather than any
particular visit.

However...

HL7 ADT discharge messages support a discharge disposition field in the patient
visit segment using user defined codes. It is quite common for PAS HL7 A03
messages to contain at least some code in PV1-36 Discharge Disposition that
indicates death in hospital, if it so occurred. The HL7 v2 code table for this
is 0112 and suggested values refer to ‘Expired’ rather than ‘Dead’ with
potentially dozens of qualifications surrounding death. In Australia, discharge
disposition is often described as "separation mode" in mandatory reported
admitted patient statistics.

The above are mainly for administrative purposes. Additionally, HL7 v2 messages
can contain various clinical diagnostic data, often ICD-coded, that might have
been entered in PASs to denote and/or qualify patient death.

Cancer registries often use a field “Vital Status”, perhaps from historical
precedence from US NAACCR/SEER data dictionaries, to indicate living or dead.
As with PAS entries, I’ve also seen the value “unconfirmed” used in this
context in Australia, whereas the US SEER Cancer Coding and Staging Manual 2014
has two values: ‘1'  denoting “Alive”; ‘4' denoting “Dead”, with the proviso
"Assign code 4 for death certificate only cases”.

I’d caution against labelling a field “alive vs dead” on the grounds that the
value can’t meaningfully be boolean - though perhaps that might, in some
circumstances, be a good thing.
“alive" or “dead" could also refer to the status of a registry case, rather
than that of a person.

“Is deceased”  or  “Has died” ? [ Using both supports future recording of
post-cryogenic or other types of resurrections ;-) ]

regards,
eric

Eric Browne
eric.bro...@montagesystems.com.au