My two cents.

Kafka would have loved this discussion, but he is dead.

I think dead is a state, not an event with a date. Dying is an event.

Even when you don't know the date of dying, there can be proof a person is dead. And even when there is no proof of a person being dead, there is law that says that a person can be declared dead, even when there is no proof, even when there is no date of dying known. This happens sometimes with missing persons, missing in a fire, missing at sea, missing in the wild, etc.

Bert