Ok, this is great - we have two kind professionals with experience with
change management. I will be very happy for you to review a basic draft
for change management in openEHR, and work on it together. The timetable
is about 6-8 weeks. Inside the current 3-4 weeks we hope to have a basic
set of plans written for comment. THese will be pretty loose, with the
intention that people such as yourselves can make changes.

I think the aims for change control in openEHR need to:

- be simple and clear. In "heavy weight" software engineering there are
a lot of quite complex documents describing CM, SQA, test plans etc etc
(e.g. like the IEEE stds) ; this is fine for software engineers, but we
don't want to overwhelm the many people in the community who are not
engineers

- there will be a set of plans relating to the official specifications -
this is what we are developing here. It needs to be recognised that that
change management, release plans for any outside given project based on
openEHR will usually be outside these plans - e.g. it may be done by a
group on sourceforge, using completely different guidelines. I think
this is fine. We just have to be clear on what is official openEHR IP
and what is not. (Anything can become openEHR IP by donation. The
consequence is that the work gets taken care of, even if the donor
doesn't have the resoruces to do anything further with it, and it will
be guaranteed to be freely available forever, according to the openEHR
open source licence. I'm not sure of the official rules, but there will
be some published).

- we do need to be fairly careful with how we identify releases and
sub-releases, particularly so that any new change is put into the
correct release, and also so that any outside project can get a clean
baseline for any release and know that it is based on "openEHR v1.3" or
whatever. I'm sure Denis and Bill will have good ideas here, by the
sound of their experience.

Anyway, we are aiming to have something in place inside the next 8 weeks.

- thomas beale

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org