Tom Culpepper wrote:

> I again would like to reiterate may opinion on this list concerning
> the modeling of Healthcare.
>
> The business of Healthcare (both Clinical and Administrative) needs to
> be modeled in a language, platform and operating system independent
> manner. This will provide the opportunity for folks to provide
> implementations that can be used across the widest spectrum while
> leveraging legacy systems. One such universal modeling language is UML
> (Unified Modeling Language) and the "OPEN" technology that is making
> this a reality comes from the Object Management Group (www.omg.com
> <http://www.omg.com/>) MDA (Model Driven Architecture).

well as you'll see in the specs there is no language-dependent stuff -
it's all UML. The only slight problem at the moment is that OCL has some
quite broken semantics which would prevent it being used properly for
the constraints, but even then maybe we just have to go with it. In the
specs currently, the constraints are expressed in a first order
predicate form very similar to OCL. We'll have to fix tis eventually,
but as almost no-one except Eiffel people can implement the statements
directly anyway, it doesn't seem a big concern...

> Making a decision to develop models that force people to use C, C++,
> Java, Effiel, Microsoft NT, Unix, MVS, or proprietary mechanisms will
> only hamper IT efforts for interoperable solutions.

right. I don't know why we get into these discussions really - the
specifications are competely language independent (I'd have to say even
moreso than OMG actually - IDL is actually quite C++/C oriented, but
that's history - let's not waste our breath on it now!)

> I also concur with David Forsland in the use of the Object Constraint
> Language.

Tom, I'm interested in what you think about the review I have done. See
http://www.deepthought.com.au/it/ocl_review.html.

- thomas beale

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org