A Dijous, 21 de gener de 2010, Jan Verlaan - Veritos va escriure:
> I do mostly agree with P. Christeas,
>
> It would be outrageous to have a official stable release and a community
> maintained "super-stable" release.
> Here also we would run into troubles when Tiny doesn't accept (a part
> of) our super-stable release merged into the official stable release.
>  From marketing perspective we have a issue too, which release to choose
> for implementations? The official or the community version?
> making a differentiation here is the first step in a forking cycle, it
> is just waiting for the next step.
>
> So it would be better to have a tough discussion with Tiny how to
> overcome the problems we face as a community. There must be a way where
> we can work together on the same stable version. It is of both interest.
> If it's not of interest of Tiny, then we have an serious issue and the
> discussion about maintaining a own branch is legitimated. But actually
> that is called forking, isn't it? We just name it different!
>
> Hope Tiny will jump in in this discussion.

I just wanted to say that I share your worries. At the same time we don't want
a "community branch" because it could become a "community fork", but currently
there are "lots of individual branches" (Raphaël made a list of them). Maybe a
community branch could avoid many of those branches.... (again I'm not sure
about that).

> Op 21-01-10 10:06, P. Christeas schreef:
> > On Wednesday 20 January 2010, Albert Cervera i Areny wrote:
> >> Maybe it would be better for tiny and the community to have one
> >>   openerp-server and openerp-addons branches owned by community-leaders
> >> or another restricted group that would do their own priorization and
> >> schedules? I'm not sure, about this, but sometimes not being able to fix
> >> some things really slows things down. We currently can get faster
> >> (better?) feedback from these new mailing lists than from Tiny (they
> >> have their resources and priorities which I understand).
> >
> > In short:
> > Technically, thec current process of manipulating openerp patches +
> > branches is far from optimal. That must be a major part of the problem,
> > but still is not that alone .
> > The human collaboration is the other part of the issue. This community
> > has expanded rapidly, and we may be in a state of ad-hoc collaboration.
> > For me, there is a strong human factor in that, in the sense that
> > developers need to trust each other and know what each co-worker is up
> > to. Work-sessions and more communication would improve on that.
> >
> > I would not propose a specific community scheme, because I consider
> > unfair that we "hijack" some "official" branch off Tiny. Instead, we
> > should focus on making life easy for Tiny (and the rest of us), with well
> > documented branches and easy-to-merge patchsets.
> >
> > One issue, yes, is  releases. That is a Tiny's responsibility (since we
> > could not have arbitrary version numbers in our branches), and we need
> > some kind of agreement that releases won't delay. Even if we end up
> > releasing twice a day, minor versions should be issued immediately when a
> > flaw has been fixed and tested (ie. not wait for a bunch of updates, not
> > try to push irrelevant fixes or features along with a bugfix).
> >
> > Again, I remind you of my suggestion for a *true* distributed source
> > control, which also helps merging and tracking individual patches with a
> > minimal burden. It's more than a year I have been demonstrating that.

Albert Cervera i Areny
http://www.NaN-tic.com
Mòbil: +34 669 40 40 18