On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Albert Cervera i Areny
<alb...@nan-tic.com>wrote:

> A Divendres, 22 de gener de 2010, Raphaël Valyi va escriure:
> > 2) I see that some of you more or less support the idea of the branch X I
> > defined: a stable branch synch'ed with 5.0 head with extra backports Tiny
> > doesn't want / can't assume. If only backports can get in, then that's
> > pretty easy: Tiny continue to be the authority telling indirectly what
> >  could be in or not.
> > Now, given how slow is the merge process on trunk, unless Tiny can change
> > it, it doesn't sound it would solve the speed issue.
> >
> > Now, if we say we accept patches on that branch that are not trunk
> > backports, well, unfortunately, I doubt decision will be that easy. Yes I
> > suggest to make that branch eventually, but only if we can agree on
> >  policies like voting or something like that.
> >

> I'd vote for a stable branch by now with bugfixes only. All rules can have
> exceptions, but those should have strong support: both in arguments and
> community members. Other communities are doing it without the need of a
> strict
> voting mechanism. After all, those that vote must also support the idea
> with
> code and compromise, so I think it's more a matter of discuss and accept
> other
> people's opinion.

Sorry, but last counter-example of this is less than 10 minutes ago,
Syleam vetoing again one more merge proposal:
https://code.launchpad.net/~openerp-commiter/openobject-addons/trunk-extra-addons/+merge/14302

Again, I can't understand that stance: that module is for country where
Syleam doesn't even have a single customer, so why veto it without even
explaining?
(yes I think OpenERP should deal with account_anglo_saxon in a more
integrated way, but meanwhile it's important to support those countries too,
in any case rejecting without making for explanation effort is a bit of
disrespect for the others work I think).
BTW, we will soon ask a merge to have tax included supported out of the box
for the Brazilian localization, I'm quite sure it will run into similar
problems...

I would like to believe it's as simple, I'm ok to to try with you and who
like to be in, but unfortunately I'm not sure it's as simple. May be we can
try to have such a branch and those who are too conservative will just not
participate to it, not sure how that could work. Also as I said, yes there
is the stable branch, but I'm personally more focused on 5.2 which is what
will have to deal with until mid 2011, if it misses key things, it will be
yet an other tough integration year. For instance we are in Brazil, we
should make sure 5.2 is OK for Brazil. 5.0 will not do the job here for any
company requiring the full accounting, so we need 5.2 to be better in
several ways, it's a survival question for us.

Guys the situation is very hot, I tried to contact Fabien again today
without success. I know some of you are close to switching to Tryton. I
totally admit Tryton has lot's of technical advantages over OpenERP (while
OpenERP still have a few tech advantages too like computed fields +
invalidation trigger Tryton dev said they would never support). But overall,
I've several reasons to think Tryton is just was OpenERP was 3 years ago in
term of efforts, I've no (actually less) reasons to believe they would do
better in 3 years after the few creators get tired of working
late tirelessly without money. So I know very much Tiny his totally flooded,
I will ask them for some clear statements however to avoid a
community balkanization that could weaken us all.

BTW, about the commit on get for sequence here
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openobject-server/+bug/462285, After I contacted
Stephane Wirtel personally, he proposed to apply the community patch. Can
they apply it? Also it's sad, Cedric Krier from Tryton told be that he
already fixed that bug like more than one year ago before living Tiny.
That's also for that we need to complete the test suite. Even with a low
coverage, chances are we avoid most of such regressions.

Regards,

Raphaël Valyi
http://www.akretion.com