On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 22:57:42 +0200
Stefan Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> After doing the E2 keypad mapping andgetting gmzhuo's patch so quickly I was
> musing about naming the keys.
>
> They are some sort of userspace API. Apps or framework will depend on them, so
> we should try to not break this later. On the other hand the keymapping should
> be in the next batch of upstream submission, so we need to think about this.

ACK.

> It's not really hard, just names for keys :), but we still should have sane
> and
> meaningful names for them. And especially the same meaning accross phones.

Well, _still_? Isn't choosing names a really big part of the job when
dealing with computers? :)

> From the different phones I haave here, I think the following could make
> sense:
> (Input from E6 and A910 would be needed if the following does not cover them)
>
> Keypad (A780, A910, E2):
> Numbers  KEY_NUMERIC_0 -  KEY_NUMERIC_9
> * is  KEY_NUMERIC_STAR
> # is  KEY_NUMERIC_POUND (These and the two above are especially for phones in
> # input.h)

ACK.

> Menu KEY_MENU
> Cancel KEY_CANCEL

I am not sure about how the middle button on the first line of A780
keypad should be interpreted. It is KEY_MENU now, but the picture looks
like a C with a back arrow, should it be a KEY_CANCEL? What's your
opinion about this button?
The Button with the C and the little arrow on A910 is definitely a
KEY_CANCEL.

> Enter KEY_KPENTER

I'd use this one for the Jogdial center button on A780 (as it is now),
and for A910 Circle button on the left side of the phone.

> Navigation stick/pad: (All)
> KEY_UP, KEY_DOWN, KEY_LEFT, KEY_RIGHT
> KEY_ENTER for pressing
>
> Dial, the green one: (All)
> KEY_PHONE
>
> Camera: (All)
> KEY_CAMERA
>
> Voice record: (A780, E2, A1200, more?)
> KEY_RECORD

ACK, A910 has the voice record button too, it is on the right side of
the phone.

> Volume +/- or Up / Down on the side: (All?)
> KEY_PAGEDOWN and KEY_PAGEUP
> Some also have an enter key for this in between, A1200, or a jogdial with
> press
> function. KEY_SELECT or KEY_OK for this one?

I'd say KEY_KPENTER as stated above, but I am not sure, what do you
think about that?

> Without name / Softkeys: (E2, E680)
> KEY_F1, KEY_F2, ...

ACK, a910 has also those softkeys as the topmost ones.

> House / Home: (A780)
> KEY_HOME

ACK

> WWW: (E6)
> KEY_WWW
>
> Media keys: (E2, E6?)
> Play / Pause KEY_PLAYPAUSE
> Next KEY_NEXTSONG
> Previous KEY_PREVIOUSSONG
> Music symbol KEY_SOUND
>
> The power key, sometimes red, is connected directly to the PCAP2 so we does
> not have it in the mapping. I think on 1 gen it is also connected directly to
> the BP? This one needs to be handled seperately. Still the name for it would
> be
> clear: KEY_POWER

ACK

> Mickey, as the userspace/framework guy, do you have any other pints you would
> like to see addressed?
>
> I'll push the E6 keymap patch from gmzhuo. Once we found an agreement on the
> names I'll also clean up all the different names in different keymaps, etc..
>
> regards
> Stefan Schmidt

Thanks,
   Antonio