On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 00:17:03 +0200
Stefan Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 23:45, Antonio Ospite wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 22:57:42 +0200
> > Stefan Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Menu KEY_MENU
> > > Cancel KEY_CANCEL
> >
> > I am not sure about how the middle button on the first line of A780
> > keypad should be interpreted. It is KEY_MENU now, but the picture looks
> > like a C with a back arrow, should it be a KEY_CANCEL? What's your
> > opinion about this button?
> > The Button with the C and the little arrow on A910 is definitely a
> > KEY_CANCEL.
>
> Same on the E2. I used KEY_CANCEL for it. I just checked the behaviour on the
> default system on my A780. It is for sure not a menu key. The menu apperas
> when
> pressing the joystick. The red button for release call and the middle button
> seem to have the same function in the menus, cancel. Do we get keycodes for
> the
> red one?

You made me think that on phones with no _dedicated_ power button
(A910 is amongst these), the _single_ red button might not have the
primary meaning of KEY_POWER, only its _extended_ press issues a power
off command. Also because the concept of _extended_ press for power key
is hidden by the hardware on gen1 phones we can't handle in software the
extended press of a KEY_POWER.
So KEY_POWER should mean power off NOW, in any case.
I'd say:
Dedicated power button -> KEY_POWER
Shared power/red button -> KEY_CANCEL and sw handles extended press
C (cancel) button -> KEY_BACKSPACE or KEY_DELETE

> I would go with KEY_CANCEL for the middle button. Need to think about the red
> one. This is special on A780 as it has a red release call button AND a power
> button. All other phones just have one for both.

maybe KEY_BACKSPACE suits better as explained before

> > > Volume +/- or Up / Down on the side: (All?)
> > > KEY_PAGEDOWN and KEY_PAGEUP
> > > Some also have an enter key for this in between, A1200, or a jogdial with
> > > press
> > > function. KEY_SELECT or KEY_OK for this one?
> > >

> > I'd say KEY_KPENTER as stated above, but I am not sure, what do you
> > think about that?
>
> Hmm, KPENTER, OK, SELECT are all pretty near in the phone context. No strong
> opinion here. If userspace has no oipinion here (Mickey?) we can go with
> KPENTER

also this made me rethink about what I wrote before about KEY_PHONE
(which IMHO was meant more to launch a dialer app, than to compose
the number), the green phone button could be a KEY_OK.
So we enforce the association:
green -> KEY_OK
red -> KEY_CANCEL or KEY_ESCAPE

> Any special purpose keys like WWW symbols or something on the A910?

Only Camera and Voice recording.

> Thanks for the input.
>
> regards
> Stefan Schmidt